New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving the queue manager to a non-system disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Moving the queue manager to a non-system disk

Hi all,

Queue Manager has been moved to dkc300:[common.system]. VMS=7.3. The queue manager fails to start up. I set startup_p2 to "D" in modparams.dat, and observed the following in the startup.log.

There is a common disk, called COMMON$DISK. Within sylogicals.com, QMAN$MASTER is defined to common$disk:[common.system].

In sylogicals.com, the disk is mounted using clu_mount_disk.com. The disk mounts ok, BUT, has %MOUNT-I-REBUILD, volume was improperly dismounted; rebuild in progress.

Later, the following command is issued within sylogicals.com:
START/QUEUE/MANAGER QMAN$MASTER
At this point this error occurs:
%SYSTEM-F-DEVOFFLINE, device is not in configuration or not available

(This is not true as a show device and a directory of the device (within sylogicals.com) show it is very much alive and running)

Anticipating that this error message could somehow be due to the disk rebuild, I modified clu_mount_disk.com and added /NOREBUILD. Then, after the START/QUEUE/MANAGER QMAN$MASTER, I put a SET VOLUME/REBUILD COMMON$DISK:. Still the same error message appears and the queue manager fails to start. I suspect this is some sort of timing issue.

The disk is running ok, and has reported no errors or other anomalies. I guess I could just as easily start a new queue manager from scratch pointing to the newly defined QMAN$MASTER, but I would much rather solve this problem.

Does anyone have any clues or hints as to the obious thing I am missing here?

Thanks,
Mark.
23 REPLIES 23
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

Please execute the following command and post the results.

For example,

Nodea> sh que/manager/full
Master file: COMMON:[SYSEXE]QMAN$MASTER.DAT;

Queue manager SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER, running, on nodea::
/ON=(*)
Database location: COMMON:[SYSEXE]

Our queue manager uses a common cluster wide disk. I cannot recall the command required to move the .dat file but it was straight forward.
modparams did not get involved.
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

From VMS help
start/queue/manager

3.$ START/QUEUE/MANAGER/NEW_VERSION -
_$ /ON=(SATURN,VENUS,NEPTUN,*) DUA5:[SYSQUE])

In our case we specified the new location common:[sysmgr].

Simon Fedele
Advisor

Can you check if QMAN$QUEUE_MANAGER.EXE is in SYS$SYSTEM. I've seen a similiar problem like this before.
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Thomas,

sho /queue/manager/full:
Master file: DKC300:[COMMON.SYSTEM]QMAN$MASTER.DAT;

Queue manager SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER, running, on EMU2::
/ON=(EMU2)
Database location: DKC300:[COMMON.SYSTEM]

The file(s) exists, as I can start the queue manager manually after startup, it just won't start up within sylogicals.com.

All our batch queues are autostart, all our print queues are lpd symbiont controlled.

Thanks,
Mark.
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Simon,
" Can you check if QMAN$QUEUE_MANAGER.EXE is in SYS$SYSTEM. I've seen a similiar problem like this before."

Yes:
Directory SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]

QMAN$QUEUE_MANAGER.EXE;1 350KB/379KB 14-APR-2006 09:01:58.24

As I stated to Thomas, and omitted initially, the queue manager can be started up without a problem AFTER startup, just not during.

Thanks,
Mark
Simon Fedele
Advisor

I may be wrong here but i think sylogicals is to early in the startup. It runs before the job controller process has completed and that is where start/queue/manager sends a request to job controller to start the queue manager. Maybe try it in systartup_vms
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

Mark, our sequence is to mount the disk in the fist step of sylogicals.
Extract

In
sys$manager:sylogicals.com

$ mount/system/noassist/norebuild DSA15: /shadow=($1$dga15:,$1$dga1501:) common common

Then we run syslogicals.

$ @common:[sysmgr]sylogicals
Simon Fedele
Advisor

This might help also, from Chapter 13 of VMS system manager's manual

http://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/V73/6017/6017pro_054.html#start_q_mgr

13.3.1 Specifying the Location of the Queue Master File

"If the location you specify is on a disk other than the node's system disk, add a command in SYLOGICALS.COM to mount the disk. SYLOGICALS.COM is normally used to define logical names; however, it is important that SYLOGICALS.COM contain the command to mount the disk holding the master file so that the master file is available before the job controller starts the queue manager. "

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mark,

there is no need to manually issue the START/QUEUE/MANAGER command (since approximately V5.5-2) during startup.

All you need to do in SYLOGICALS.COM is:

- define QMAN$MASTER logical to point to the disk and directory where QMAN$MASTER.DAT resides. The location of the queue-manager database files are stored in QMAN$MASTER.DAT.

- MOUNT the QMAN disk

The %MOUNT-I-REBUILD operation is a synchronous operation, so the MOUNT command does not return to DCL until the volume has been rebuilt.

Volker.