108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple files???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Multiple files???

I am seeing multiple apparent versions of the same files, turning up in a directory.
NETSERVER.LOG;13 15/15
NETSERVER.LOG;12 15/15
NETSERVER.LOG;11 15/15
NETSERVER.LOG;10 15/15
NETSERVER.LOG;9 15/15
NETSERVER.LOG;8 15/15
NETSERVER.LOG;12 15/15
NETSERVER.LOG;11 6/10
NETSERVER.LOG;10 6/10
NETSERVER.LOG;9 6/10
NETSERVER.LOG;8 6/10

Yet, Dir/full returns

Prd> dir/full n*.log;1

Directory WWW_PRD_ROOT:[000000]

NETSERVER.LOG;1 no such file

NETSERVER.LOG;1 no such file

Total of 2 files, 0/0 blocks.

It's a busy large Raid set (6 drive 0+1)
and people are getting worried.

ALso getting a lot of warnings (badhiblk, freespadrift, bad_nameorder and related...)

Mister Q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
24 REPLIES 24
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi mister Q,
No such file are the file marked to deleted but not yet really deleted. I guess the deleting process is not terminate. ANAL/DISK could report same information (file marked to delete) and /REPAIR could solve it.
However, I believe you have some network process keep opened these file while some other try to delete them.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Peter,

The last time I saw something like that was on a 4 member RAID 0+1
volume where 2 of the members had dropped out.
Are all 6 disks still OK?
The directory looks to be screwed. DFU might be able to help.
Does the directory command loop on that block?
Try using DUMP/DIRECTORY to examine the contents of the
blocks after the one containing the listed files.
I seem to recall that ANALYZE/DISK was unable to repair
the problem I came across.
How big is the directory containing these files?
It looks like possibly a directory shuffle was
interrupted.

Dave.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Is it possible that WWW_PRD_ROOT is a search list ? Do sho log WWW_PRD_ROOT to find out.
Then the multiple files may be normal (do a dir for each part of WWW_PRD_ROOT to find out where the files really are).

That combined with open files that are deleted could be very normal.

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> No such file are the file marked to deleted but not yet really deleted.

Sorry, but I don't agree. This error message implies a 'dangeling directory entry'. It means that the directory entry points to a file header/ revision number combination that is no longer in use.

A simple 'DELETE NETSERVER.LOG;vers' should remove the dangeling entry in recent versions of OpenVMS - else, use '$ set FILE/REMOVE'.

File names or file revisions out of order indicate a corruption of the directory file. It is possible that a maintanance operation was aborted by a system crash.

The people have a good reason to be worried!

You might want to dismount the disk and take a BACKUP/PHYSICAL copy before you start any repairs.

After that, I agree with Antonio to further analyze the problem with '$ ANALYZE /DISK_STRUCTURE'.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Just can answer on your first concern, having no real experience on the second. Others have already given theirs.

is logical WWW_PRD_ROOT: a searchlist? if you SET DEF WW_PRD_ROOT before, DIR will run down each entry - each directory - and you'll get multiple lines, as shown.
This is standard behaviour; it has nothing to do with the storage architecture.

If not, there IS a serious problem with your system, but then you would be too busy to consult ITRC....
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Q,

do not yet discards Willem's idea.
If you defined your WWW_PRD_ROOT (obviously a Concealed Device) to be the concealed logical name for multiple directories, and files of the same name appear in different dirs, then the output looks to be out-of-sequence, like what you get. Defining a concealed logical for each directory tree, and defining a (NOT concealed) search list over those ROOTs, will generate dir headers between the various listings.

Your DIR/FULL presenting TWO files with the same name also points in that direction.

The "no such file" issue may well be a separate thing, which DOES need further attention, as indicated by Uwe.

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Peter wrote:
> ALso getting a lot of warnings (badhiblk, freespadrift, bad_nameorder and related...)

So, let's take a look:
$ help/message bad_nameorder
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Did a test : try to delete a file that is open (shared). And try to find file afterwards with dir.

6.2, 7.3, 8.2 : no files found

So, the message "no such file" could indicate problems.

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Of course. If you delete an open file, the system removes the directory link, but keeps the file header. Should the system now crash, you will have a 'lost file' - a header without a directory entry pointing to it -- the opposite of a dangeling directory entry ;-)