New Discussion юеВ

NFS Server -> Cannot unlink <filename> from Unix Host

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dom Searle_1
Occasional Contributor

NFS Server -> Cannot unlink <filename> from Unix Host

Hi,

I have an openvms 7.3 nfs server exporting out to Unix clients. Current tcpip stack is v5.1 ECO5.

When a client creates a file on a nfs share it correctly assigns the Unix ownership and permissions (which is rwx,rwx,rwx). However when another user name with the correct privileges tries to move the file or delete it, the client gets a error "Cannot unlink ". Is there anything you can specify on the NFS server, as the Unix permissions are correct.

Thanks in advance,

Dom
4 REPLIES 4
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS Server -> Cannot unlink <filename> from Unix Host

Does that other user have rwx on the directory wheer the files reside?
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

On the server side, check the log file (ucx sho servi nfs/fu for the name of it).

Reply /enable on server may help too.

Note that all proxies may be cached. Kill the NFS server process before testing.
Wim
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dom,
Rethinking, though I'm not familiar with NFS at all, just by deduction (and some intuition) and remembering what I've read in the manuals on NFS:
If the VMS system is the server, you'll have some way to let "outside users" access the data on your system. I recall from the TCPIP-manual that you have to define proxies for these users.
You could therefore check whether the "proxy user" has delete-access to the files, so protection should be (in VMS-terms) RWED for user and/or group (I don't know whether you would see the "D" on Unix systems...) and at least RW on the directory above.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Dom Searle_1
Occasional Contributor

Yes you are correct. While the permissions looked correct on the unix side, the mapped proxy account needed group ownership of the nfs directory.

Thanks for your help on this.

Cheers,

Dom