Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFS performance doing directory from PC client (NFS Maestro) to VMS server using tcpip 5.4 eco2

Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

NFS performance doing directory from PC client (NFS Maestro) to VMS server using tcpip 5.4 eco2

Has anyone had any luck mapping a directory from a PC client (like NFS Maestro) to a directory on a VMS system as the NFS server? I have it working. It is just extremely slow to the tune of 15 minutes to show a directory containing 1100 files. Any one have any tuning ideas?
6 REPLIES
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS performance doing directory from PC client (NFS Maestro) to VMS server using tcpip 5.4 eco2

Layne,

The speed of the directory command on VMS is very slow. The VMS way to obtain data from the directory is different than on other operating systems. The only data which is in the VMS directory is the file name, type and version and the so called file id. The file must be opened to get other informations. This is a slow operation. Because you need more informations all 1100 files must be opened (maybe because of bad programming more than one time).

The only thing I can suggest you to speed up the operation is to reduce the number of files. You can distibute them in subdirectories.

Bojan
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS performance doing directory from PC client (NFS Maestro) to VMS server using tcpip 5.4 eco2

Sorry,

Another thing gets in my mind. If transfering files is also extremely slow check the connection betwen yours systems and switches. This is a problem which was mentioned in many threads of this forum. The speed and mode of both sides must be equal set. I like the table which Antonio posted in this (and many other) thread http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=711438

Bojan
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

Bojan,

I understand your point; however, this does not appear to be the way that Multinet handles the same directory. It does the directory in seconds. Maybe they have a different programming algorithm. I'll check out the link you provided.

Thanks, Layne.

Hi,

Do You have the option "Mount type" on your NFS Share properties set to "HARD"? If not, please set it to type "HARD".
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

Henk, I don't see that as an option. I'm exporting from VMS. I'm trying to mount to VMS from a PC client (hummingbird NFS Maestro) and I don't have a mount type parameter in Maestro. I also don't see a mount type option in VMS for the ADD EXPORT command.

Layne
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

tcpip 5.4 eco 4 has corrected this problem.