1752786 Members
5709 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS transfer times

Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Sorry should have been clearer with the FTP statements. FTP copying stuff from the client to the server (get from server and put from the client) are running at the speeds I'd expect (between 3 and 4 Mbytes).

cheers

Brian
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks

Well after a PC upgrade at work which lost various bits of email and cookies, I can now at least provide some more information.

mc lancp sho dev/int
Indicates both sides of the network are at 100MB FULL.

There is nothing odd in the counters from LANCP (that I can see anyway).

From TCPIP SHO NFS, the NULLRECV count is high. Calls = 35099, Nullrecv = 27540. According to the unix docs I've seen all this means is that the NFS Server is not nusy enough (too many threads I'd guess).

FWIW the switch is unmanaged and shows as 100 Mb FULL.

The target disk is ODS-5 with highwater marking disabled.

I've attached a text file with the results from MONI IO, FCP and LOCK averaged out over a couple of runs of the copy procedure. I aplogise in advance for it being a non-VMS file.

Anything else I should be looking at? Or more to the point have I forgotten something obvious :)

cheers

Brian

Michael Yu_3
Valued Contributor

Hi Brian,

Please get the following output.

$ show logical tcpip$cfs*

$ sysconfig -q inet

$ sysconfig -q nfs

I suggest you follow the guidelines in the management manual to see if some of the above logicals and the attributes for inet and nfs should be modified to improve the nfs server performance.

Attributes like ovms_xqp_plus_enabled defaults to 0.

Thanks and regards.

Michael
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

nullrecv
Number of times an RPC call was not available when it was thought to be received.

This count is updated each time a nfsd process is scheduled but no work needed to be done. A high or increasing count here may signify to many nfsd processes.

Configured NFS server to big ?

Wim
Wim
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Wim,

Hmmmmm came to that conclusion. With only one client at the moment :) I'm seeing nullrecv within 2,000 of the total number of calls.

Think I would much rather know if the NFS Server was over utilised rather than under utilised.

Funnily enough reducing the number of threads had no impact on the nullrecv rate.

Ah well - could be worse I suppose.

cheers

Brian
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Michael,

Been using the "vanilla" setup initially. I've found that this is often good enough for our needs.

Current information (after tinkering is attached).

I'm going to try the same experiment on a DS15 system just to see what the results are :)

cheers

Brian