New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC/Physical address problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darijo
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all very, very much.

I came to work this morning and saw MAC address of that node in the MAC address table (switch).
Confused....I tried to ping the node but didnt recieved an echo. Then I typed command ucx sh int/full to check for any send/recieve packages and nothing. After I looked at NIC and LINK led was blinking. I first tought there might be a duplicated MAC address on the LAN but no.
Yeah the problem was on Physical or Data layer for sure...after I did the command that Andy suggested (mc lancp sh dev /char) and it showed the speed "100". I compared it with other nodes on the LAN and they were set to communicate on 10Mbit/s. Heureka!
-------------------------------------
So once again thanks Andy and everybody I learned some useful stuff here.
Still lot to learn so I might come back with more stupid questions. Thanks!

...and yeah...my boss is satisfied now :)

Darijo
Frequent Advisor

Yeah Colin the problem was on Speed and Duplex settings.
Also thx, for the links I will read them for sure. Especialy for DECnet.

This SRM(>>>)...what is it exacly? Something like BIOS or...?
I was typing some stuff at that prompt before VMS installation...

Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Darijo,

welcome to the OpenVMS ITRC forum and the world of OpenVMS from me, too.
There are two types of firmware on Alpha systems: SRM (Systems Reference Manual) and ARC (Advanced Risc Console).
Firmware is loosely synonymous with the BIOS software on PC systems.

By the way, what company are you working for (I am also from Croatia)?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Darijo,

from me also:
Dobro dosli to the VMS Forum.

As you already found out, on matters related to DecNet Colin really _IS_ a guru (and Steven is guru in so many fields that is incorrect to call him just a network guru).

>>>
and sry 4 bad Englsih. :)
<<<

No need.
To begin with, we have seen much wors.

The only thing you should be sorry about, is for _NOT_ asking questions that others in this forum could answer!!
No excuse necessary for lack of specific knowledge: NOBODY can know everything, and even the greatest gurus also have started as beginners!

Na zdravje

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

The SRM (>>>) is also referred to as the boot prompt. You can get alot of information about your system hardware from that point. Type "show all", "Show fru", "Show config", "help show".

Its useful information to keep.

In that information you should see the setting for the NIC card that it will star at. Determines the speed and duplex. I would suggest checking that value next time the system is down.

Usually "show ewa0*" - like ewa0_mode.

And welcome to the forum.
Darijo
Frequent Advisor

@Vladimir Fabecic
Croatia, Zagreb-Croatian Post! :)
I just wonder how many VMS admins/systems are here in Croatia. :)
------------------------------------
@Jan van den Ende
I guess now I know where you spend your hollydays... :)
Hehehe...I'm suprised!
Takodjer, na zdravlje!
------------------------------------
@Peter Zeiszle
Yes I studied help pages for a while...especialy in VMS, I found them even more user friendly then linux manuals!
Only directory structure is a bit confusing at first...it still is. :)
-------------------------------------
Ohhh yeah...I was messing with file security options.
Problem is, I started Anonymous FTP server on that node and once I connect to it I can't download files/directories because of security violations.
I typed command something like for that directory which I want to be managable by anyone, infact I just want the premission to download it.
I cheked with > and it showed that "world" has -R,W,E,D privilages, but still cant download it.
Any tips on how to solve this issue?
And how can I set on SRM promt to automaticly boot dka0 device on power-on and is it possible if booting of dkao fails that it tries to boot second device dka100?

Once again thank you for support. I tought that days will pass since I get first respond. :)

Hoff
Honored Contributor

>>>I typed command something like for that directory which I want to be managable by anyone, infact I just want the premission to download it.
I cheked with > and it showed that "world" has -R,W,E,D privilages, but still cant download it.<<<

You might want to provide some details on your goals, as there may be other ways to resolve this. If you're trying to create a wide-open anonymous FTP directory (which is itself quite hazardous if this box is accessible on a network, as various nefarious-minded folks are actively looking for these directories) then there is the anonymous logical name that needs to be set up, and the directory and file protections and ownerships need to be set.

As for tracking the specific NOPRIV error, if it's not the logical name or ownerships... Enable file access failure auditing via SET AUDIT (and you can view the current auditing settings via SHOW AUDIT) and use ANALYZE/AUDIT command to see what object is returning the failure. If this is a "real" NOPRIV error, full details will then get logged. And you can then see exactly why the failure is occurring.

As for setting up anonymous FTP, there's a section on this topic in the TCP/IP Services manuals (in the management manual), and the TCP/IP manuals (and others) are available in the left navigation at http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc/

>>>And how can I set on SRM promt to automaticly boot dka0 device on power-on...<<<

SET AUTO_ACTION RESTART
SET BOOTDEF_DEV DKA0

There's a HELP command at the console, too.

>>>...and is it possible if booting of dkao fails that it tries to boot second device dka100? <<<

The usual approach is to resolve the problem with the device. There's not a particular concept of a sequence for bootstrap devices in SRM, as there's a general assumption that the primary boot device will work -- save for cases of serious hardware failures.