New Discussion юеВ

Re: NTP and OpenVMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Derk Korevaar
Occasional Advisor

NTP and OpenVMS

Hi

We have TCPIP V5.1-15 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3. Can I configure this server (in fact a cluster) to be a client of NTP? The docs talk about setting up as an NTP server only. Do we have to migrate first to a more recent version?

Thanks,

Derk Korevaar.
9 REPLIES 9
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

I suspect you're refering to the docs at

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/tcpip51/6526/6526pro_contents_002.html#toc_chapter_12

It all depends on what you enter into TCPIP$NTP.CONF.

With a line like 'peer ...' NTP will sync the time with the peer system, i.e. will work as a client as well as server.

If you use 'server ...', NTP works as a client, querying the configured server.

For internet NTP servers, see

http://www.ntp.org/

cu,
Martin
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Use peer as Martin said and make sure all the nodes have each other as peers as well as some servers. Its important that all the nodes in the cluster sync to to same source and to each other. The various nodes exchange data and sort out who is a server.

It was good to see the inclusion of NTP to VMS. Interesting history of DTSS and NTP for those interested and found on ntp.org.

What I would like to see is the addition of reference clock drivers into VMS/ntp. Like WWVB in the States and GPS. They are absent from VMS but included in the other ntp distributions that I'm aware of.

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

there is some example code in sys$examples for acquring the time from another source

Derk,
Make changes as mentioned in the TCPIP$NTP.CONF

regards
Mobeen
Derk Korevaar
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks, you all. The TCPIP$CONFIG threw me as it suggests that NTP only works as a server.

But now I configured my system as a client using server
version 3 and it works perfectly.

Derk.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Derk,

According to you're profile, you're in France. This is a daylight saving zone. If you aren't using DTSS (must be switched of if you're using another timesyncronisation) and not using the SYSGEN 'AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV' (set to 1) (what is introduced in 7.3) the time goes out of sync during the changing time (for 2004 this is march 28th and october 31). This is because at once there is more then 5 minutes difference and there will no synchronisation then. If you want to be acurate during this time you must do this change by hand, or use the tool SYS$EXAMPLES:DAYLIGHT_SAVINGS.COM . When using this tool you can submit the created procedure at the moment the change should start. When using DTSS this was automaticly done.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Derk Korevaar
Occasional Advisor

Hi Anton,

I missed this sysgen parameter. Now I have looked it up and the docs are mute about the interaction of TCPIP NTP and this parameter (it does talk about DTSS). Your remarks are a little ambiguous. If I use NTP to synchronize, do I need to set AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV? Or do you mean I only have sync problems when I do not set AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV?

Thanks,

Derk Korevaar
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Derk,

the AUTO_DLIGHT_SAVE only adjust the time automaticly. This must be done, because when NTP discovers a time difference from more then 5 minutes it wont adjust the time. So after the timezone is adjust to the new time (1 hour forward or back) the timedifference for NTP is direct 1 hour. After this moment you wil see in the logfile the message, timedifference to great, no time adjustment (something of this nature, I don't recall the message exaclty). So AUTO_DLIGHT_SAVE does it for VMS, and NTP adjust the time after this (if it has to be done ofcourse).
Yes, AUTO_DLIGHT_SAVE has nothing to do with TCPIP, but is needed. Again, there is a workaround by using the SYS$EXAMPLE:DAYLIGHT_SAVINGS.COM or by hand or (ofcourse) selfmade.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !