7567 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NTP log question

Bob Vida
Advisor

NTP log question

Hi,

I'm running OpenVMS 8.3 with TCPIP v5.6 eco2.
I have a question with what I'm seeing in my tcpip$ntp_run.log. I normally see entries every hour listing the offset. On a few of my servers I'm also seeing synchronized to messages. I have 2 servers set up in my tcpip$ntp_conf file and I see the sync message going to both servers.

What could cause this to occur?

Thanks,

Bob
8 REPLIES 8
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

bob,

sounds fairly normal to me, ntp will use the time source with the lowest stratum first off , if you have two timesources equally weighted it will synch with whichever shows least delay/latency which could vary depending on network / system loads etc.

hope this helps

Hoff
Honored Contributor

What you're seeing is typically the result of how you've configured ntp on the box. (Yes, demonstrating my hammerlock grasp on the obvious...)

If you'd like to discuss the synchronization messages and the ntp configuration and the operation within your ip and ntp network environment, please consider posting the details of the particular configuration(s) involved and the message(s) you're seeing in the logs.

AFAIK, the ntp implementation in OpenVMS TCP/IP Services is a port of the UDel ntp stuff with few changes, so (if you're interested in details) you can wander over to ntp.org for the the original code and the documentation.
Bob Vida
Advisor

Thanks for the quick responses.

I attached a screeen shot of the tcpip$ntp_run.log file from the servers I had the question about. I have about 60 servers all configured the same way but only these servers have the synchronized message in their log.
My concern is that these servers have some kind of issue with their connection to the NTP servers.
I never see the synchronized to message in any of my other servers logs.

Bob
Hoff
Honored Contributor

What is the configuration file for a representative sample of your various ntp configurations?

Ensure your ntp clients are locked.

here's a basic (general) technique using ntpq:
http://toi.iriti.cnr.it/xntpdoc/debug.html

and here are the specifics of the OpenVMS ntpq tool:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/6526/BA548_90006.PDF

Bob Vida
Advisor

Attached is the config file used by all of my servers.

I'm going to check out the links you provided.

Not familiar with ntp clients being locked. What is that about?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

"locked" as a synonym for "synchronized"; maintaining a lock with or maintaining synchronization with an ntp server. That the clock is not free-running.

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

bob,

if you use ntpq and the clients are outside of the time difference limit (1000 secs) they come up as 'insane' ! who writes this stuff ? :-)

Bob Vida
Advisor

Thanks for your input.