108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need V7.2 -

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

The V7.3-1 & V7.3-2 are the complete official versions of those releases of OpenVMS from HP. The V8.3 is a release of OpenVMS from OpenVMS Hobbyist.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

More information:

In all cases, the OpenVMS CDs are booted with a >> BOOT -FLAGS 0,0 DKA400.

The firmware version is documented above.

The CDs are documented above.

The hardware is a AlphaServer 800, 192MB of memory, 3 SCSI disks (2.1GB, 4.3GB & 9.1GB - all DEC or Compaq, Sony CDrom CDU-765, S3 Trio64/Trio32 Graphics, & a TLZ09 tape. The disks are currently formated FAT and have a running copy of Alpha NT 4, along with Back Office Small Business Server. The OS_TYPE is set to OpenVMS.

Other questions?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Stephen,

based on the error messages you're seeing, it looks like the data read from the CDs is sometimes not correctly copied into memory. You can try to boot using >>> b -fl 0,30000 DKA400 - make sure to capture the full output using the serial console line and a terminal emulator. Are these error absolutely reproducable, i.e. same error with same image every time ? Can you boot from these CDs on another Alpha server ?

Volker.
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

I'm still trying to figure how to get a console printout. I don't have a spare LA120 around, though I might be able to get a parallel to USB cable interface for my VT525. Putting a serial port on a PC would be quite painful unless there is a USB to serial option somewhere.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

Update - I found and ordered a USB to serial option.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

If you have a terminal server, plugging the console into the terminal server, and using
reverse LAT to access the console may be a quicker and easier option to get logged output.

-- Rob
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

Terminal servers went out with the LA120.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

OpenVMS Alpha V7.2 likely won't work here too, as I'd bet your Sony drive is incompatible with OpenVMS.

Confirm that drive is set to 512-byte block operations. Or (better) get a supported CD drive; the Sony CDU765 is both very old and rarely discussed.

Sure, this configuration probably all works fine with Windows NT. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the hardware itself works and / or that the hardware is supported by OpenVMS Alpha.

Terminal servers are still useful and widely available, and the devices remain in active use in many environments. The current euphemism for these classic devices varies, but one of the more widespread names is "JetDirect". The MP or "Management Processor" is another. There are new terminal servers available from various vendors.

The AlphaServer XP1000 SRM version has gone in and out of support per the (per HP comments: bogus) output during the bootstrap over various OpenVMS versions, and tends to get a release note or a support article every couple of OpenVMS releases when the firmware check or the data in SYS$SYSTEM:FIRM_REV_MATRIX.DAT seems to get broken.

--

$ x=f$message(%x001380F4)
$ sho sym x
X = "%LOADER-F-NO_SUCH_IMAGE, the requested image cannot be located"
$ x=f$message(%x01380AC)
$ sho sym x
X = "%LOADER-F-NO_TRANSLATED, can't load translated image"
$
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

I meant to say that any terminal server I might have had (I did'nt), would have gone away about the same time as the LA120 and the VT compatible terminals used as console devices. My environment is my den. I don't have a lot of what has become obsolete equipment because I don't have a lot of storage space. Years ago I discarded several versions of VMS manuals, extra copies of VMS installation tapes and CDs, and my mag tapes. A number of you still work for sites where these items are still sitting around.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

It looks like the CD drive was the problem. Reading the user guide, I found that the CD and the 4 lower hard drives slots are hardwired for SCSI 0 - 4. You can't just replace the CD drive and use SCSI ID 4. I put a RRD46, set to SCSI 5, used a different slot on the SCSI cable, and was able to boot the install disk and am now installing VMS V8.3.

BTW - I saw no warning message about the computers firmware being out of date.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting