1752832 Members
3640 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need help with VMS Cluster ... Memory Dump

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help with VMS Cluster ... Memory Dump

I know this is not windows and normally a re-install is not necessary :-) I have a VAX system that runs since 10 years...

But because there is no data on these systems and because it is only a test system, it will be simpler to re-install than to edit all the different values.

I also think that the cause of the problem might be that both system disks have the same name (dka0:) and I already changed the alloclass of one system.
But the problem is still there... that's why I will do a re-install... we will see.
"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Christian,

how did you 'change to allocation class' ? Eiditing MODPARAMS.DAT and running @SYS$UPDATE:AUTOGEN GETDATA SETPARAMS ?
Does MC SYSGEN SHOW ALLOCLASS show your new allocation class ?

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Christian,

>>>
and I already changed the alloclass of one system.
<<<

Just to make sure: do BOTH systems now have a DIFFERENT, non-ZERO Alloclass? If not, make it so.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

so far so good... I have set up both systems from zero. The big difference was that I said YES at the question about clustering or not.

Last time I answered no and tried to change that later with all the previously mentioned problems.

guess what... cluster is running now with no further crashes.
I initialized the disks with different labels, alloclass is 0 on both systems but since VMS takes the NODENAME$DEVICE: for the disks, they have different names.

I think I know what could have caused the problems in the first place. Being a bit lazy I made an image backup of the first system disk to start the second system. That might have caused some troubles with identical values that should not be identical :-)

Now I have to search for an OpenVMS cluster license. I have a folder full of old Vaxcluster PAKs but they are useless here.
Since this is a non-productive plaything system... is it still possible to get some evaluation licenses? Where?

Christian
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Christian,

if you want to use OpenVMS licenses as a hobbyist, there is the OpenVMS hobbyist program:

http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/news.php

You need to become a member of Connect (previoulsy called DECUS or Encompass) to be able to request OpenVMS hobbyist licenses.

Volker.
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I saw it.... and they want a membership fee :-(

Thanks for your help, I think this problem is solved.