108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need information regarding PVS end date on VMS 6.1 and 7.2-1

SOLVED
Go to solution
ArijitM

Need information regarding PVS end date on VMS 6.1 and 7.2-1

Hi,

I need the information regarding standard support end date and PVS end date for the VMS version 6.1 and 7.2-1 running on Alpha.

Can any one assist me.

Regards,
Arijit
9 REPLIES 9
Peter Elliott
Occasional Advisor

Re: Need information regarding PVS end date on VMS 6.1 and 7.2-1

Hi Arijit,
You could try :
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/openvms_supportchart.html

Regards,
Peter.
ArijitM

Hi Peter,

I have already checked this website. But there is no information about Alpha VMS version 6.1 and version 7.2-1 in it. Are there any other websites which contain the information regarding 6.1 and 7.2-1?

Regards,
Arijit
Hoff
Honored Contributor

AFAIK, there is no single published list with this sort of historical data available.

Given your quest is a combination of ancient history and likely involves some form of form of administrative or contractual or support or legal requirements, you'll want to contact HP directly and get the official answer.

If you are working inside HP, then contact me (via the URL below) from an hp.com email address, and I'll send you the names of two HP folks that were once working in this specific area, and that might have some insights or some memories of this area.

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/contact
Dave Sullivan_3
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi,

Below is my opinion of how this works as someone who supports OpenVMS.

OpenVMS 6.1 and OpenVMS 7.2-1 were never qualified for PVS. PVS versions are 5.5-2,6.2 and 7.3-2. Versions after 7.3-2 will go into EES (Extended Engineering Support) as determined by engineering. That support chart in the link above is a great resource. That link always has the dates entering PVS and potential expiration dates.

With a valid support contract, we support most releases of OpenVMS on a reasonable effort basis. So if you have a valid support contract for a release not listed in PVS you fall into the reasonable effort area where we try our best to provide a solution that doesn't involve engineering which is the main difference. In PVS, engineering agrees to still provide OS fixes to that realease/customer should the need arise.

This is just my overview, Hope this helps clarify it a bit more.

- Dave Sullivan
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Arijit

You should assign 10 points to Dave Sullivan who has answered completely to your request.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The OP asked for dates for standard and for PVS, and which is something HP would have to research.

The requested date-based information isn't posted, hasn't ever been posted AFAIK, and is likely maintained only in HP internal data resources given that it (also) depends on the then-current release policies for whenever the standard support ends after the next release ships; a value which has AFAIK varied.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

I think that it is safe to say that the dates requested will never be listed. FIrst, as stated earlier, the versions in question never qualified for PVS. That being stated, the closest date that can be obtained would be an offset from the release date of the subsequent version (V6.2 and V7.2-2) neither of which is readily available.

The bottom line here is that neither version is supported in any way any longer (officially). Perhaps the question should be: what is the root issue that has raised this question?

Dan
ArijitM

Hi All,

Thank you all for your support. I got my answare from Dave.
Actually we have VMS servers are running on VMS 6.1 and 7.2-1 and I belive these versions are quite old. So trying to figure out how long we will get the software support for these OS. Prior contacting Forums, I have contacted HP customer support (as we have valid contract with HP), but have not received any clear information.
I am closing this tread here.

Regards,
Arijit
ArijitM

Thanks all.