Operating System - OpenVMS
1752585 Members
3735 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need to see all the members of a System shadow set?

XMAN_1
Advisor

Need to see all the members of a System shadow set?

Hello! everybody,

I want to know all the existing members of a System shadow set "DSA0"

On command "$ SHOW DEVICE DSA0: " with/with out "/FULL" parameter, system is just showing only one member "$1$DKA600" as the ShadowSetMember

I have also check the MOUNT/SYSTEM DSA0 in system startup but didn't find anything.

So is this shadow set contains only one member DKA600?
10 REPLIES 10
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

XMAN,

try this cmd...
Show SHADOW DSxx

Archunan

Regards
Archie
XMAN_1
Advisor

Oh! I forget to tell you that I am working on OpenVMS V6.2-1H3

On command prompt $ SHOW SHADOW DSA0 is not working... Do I have to run any other utility?
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

XMAN,

If your SHOW DEVICE DSA0 cmd does not display the members, may be it is with one member.
Regards
Archie
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

> So is this shadow set contains only one member DKA600?

Yes.

It seems that you expected more. If that's true then at some point other member(s) were dismounted and never re-mounted. The shadow server software can eject a member should the hardware fail.

Early on in the bootstrap, VMS notes whether the system disk is shadowed. If it is, then control for the device is passed to the shadow driver and a determination of the shadow set compostion at time of last shutdown is made - this composition is restored. If there was a single member at last shutdown then that's what will be brought forward. Explicit mount commands in the startup are not required.

If a member is missing you should attempt to determine why. If it is due to hardware failure then you'll have to deal with that prior to remounting the missing member. You might check the OPERATOR.LOG for clues.
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

XMAN,

this ECO release note talks about "SHOW SHADOW Command Not Displaying Dis-Similar Device Shadowing" what is your OS version?

VMS732_SHADOWING-V0500, ECO Kit Release

http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=05/09/01/7712604

Archunan

Regards
Archie
XMAN_1
Advisor

Hey Guys!

Is the member of the shadow set need to be of same capacity and same model?

If that so then Jim is correct...

There is one more Drive DKA400 same as DKA600 with the same model & same capacity and is not mounted. It contains the same kind of directory structure and files as DKA600 and it could be the old member of ShadowSet.

and DKA400 is the only drive which matches DKA600 in modle & capacity.

So whats your verdict? Let me know.

I also use the following command to check and narrow down my search:

$ Mount/Override(id,shadow) DISK
$ SHOW DEVICE DISK
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Xman,

Did you just take over management of this system?

Be careful putting that disk back into the shadow set. It is possible that the shadow member was removed to upgrade the OS or make some changes to the OS before rebuilding the shadow set with DKA400 as the primary member and DKA600 as the secondary member. If it is possible to reboot the system try rebooting from DKA400 and see if it is a different OS.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

> Is the member of the shadow set need to be of same capacity and same model?

Capacity yes, model no.

It appears as though you've likely found the absent member.

But as Phil points out, you should try and determine why it is not currently a member. It is certainly conceivable that someone "broke" the shadow set as a "backup" so that they might quickly restore (and if so perhaps that capability is no longer needed).

If unsure, you should probably backup that currently unmounted volume to tape prior to initiating a shadow copy.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Look at the date of the files on the DKA400. That could show the last modification dates.

Then look at your current system disk and see if any new patches were loaded and wehn.

To see the unit number of system disk shadow devices try
mc sysgen show SHADOW_SYS_UNIT

You can also search your mount files to see if there is a mount statement to add DKA400 to the system disk. The system could boot from DKA600 and then mount dka400 as a member later on.