1752639 Members
5715 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Net::SSLeay Perl module

Francesco Gennai
Occasional Contributor

Net::SSLeay Perl module

I read in a past thread about Crypt::SSleay.

Now I'm a bit confused, because I don't know the differences between Crypto::SSLeay, Net::SSL and Net::SSLeay

My question is:

is Net::SSLeay Perl module working on Perl/OpenVMS ? (On the most recent versions of Perl for VMS).

Thank you.
Francesco
4 REPLIES 4
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

It looks like Net::SSLeay is a fairly generic SSL module, whereas Crypt::SSLeay is targeted at the https protocol specifically.

My changes to Crypt::SSLeay to make the build able to locate the HP-supplied OpenSSL libraries on VMS are now in the latest release. I've never tried to build Net::SSLeay that I remember, but don't know any reason it wouldn't work. Have you tried it?
Francesco Gennai
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I have tried it.
It requires to specify the path where OpenSSL can be found, but I didn't get success.
By looking at makefile.pl,
I suspect that it concatenate to the specified path, the common subdirs in Unix and Windows environment.

I have both HP SSL and OpenSSL from www.openssl.org

Thank you.
Francesco
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

I did manage to get Net::SSLeay to locate the HP-supplied SSL libraries and build, though with some warnings. The attached patch gets you that far. Apply with GNU patch. It replaces some OS-specific hacks in the Makefile.PL with some other OS-specific hacks -- the whole thing needs major portability rework.

The test suite would need quite a makeover as well, so I haven't run it successfully, but the problems don't appear to have anything to do with the module itself, just a non-portable test suite.
Francesco Gennai
Occasional Contributor

Thank you !

I will try it in the next days.

Francesco