1753929 Members
8826 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: .Net deployment on OpenVMS

royqt

.Net deployment on OpenVMS

Hi All,

In my project I am using VC++ .Net in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 on windows platform.The exe I have compiled in my local desktop now needs to reside in an OPenVMS server which can be called from a .COM file. Is this possible ?

If yes then what are the changes I need to make to my program so that the exe can be deployed on OpenVMS.

Is there a way to install the .Net framework on OpenVMS ?

Regards,

royqt
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

You can store a Windows executable image on your OpenVMS system, but you can't run it.

You'll have to talk to Microsoft about porting their product to OpenVMS. I doubt it will ever happen!
A crucible of informative mistakes
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Evidently there are still plenty of erstwhile idle HP/VMS employees who get paid valuable VMS License Payer dollars to port whatever dodgy freeware happens to tickle their fancies, so why not .NET MONO?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)

Regards Richard Maher
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

It is not really clear what you are trying to do here. Is the .EXE a Windows executable? Why does it need to be on OpenVMS? Then command procedure files of OpenVMS (.COM file types) are like .BAT files of DOS/Windows or script files, is this your expectation?

There were in the past some cross development environments but usually they were more the edit/test on Windows and then final submission to OpenVMS to be compiled and then linked to OpenVMS libraries for execution on OpenVMS.

If you could give us a bit more detail of what you are trying to do then we can give you reasonable suggestions.

Bill.
Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
royqt

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply.To be more specific yes , my development environment is Windows and I am using VC++ .Net on Visual Studio 2005.I am using libraries that have been conpiled on VS 2005 on Windows.

To draw analogy with the java world when you have developed something in java and generated the class file (on Windows),to deploy the same file in OpenVMS you have to use the "set attr..." command on the class file after you have transfered it to the OpenVMS file system.Then in your com file you can call the class file by the usual java command.

In a similar way can I have .Net framework installed on an OpenVMS operating system and run my executable which is developed in windows after setting the appropiate classpath etc.

Is there anyway in which this can be done ?

Regards,

royqt

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Can this VC++ and .NET stuff be done? Sure.

Replace OpenVMS with Microsoft Windows. That'll make the environment best fit with your assumptions and notions and expectations of how computing works. You clearly know from Microsoft Windows. Use it.

Or port the Mono to OpenVMS. (That'll be a huge and hairy port, BTW, and the potential for success of a port of this framework to OpenVMS is far from a certainty.)

Otherwise, no. Not with .NET.

If you want to run applications on OpenVMS, then you need to use its tools and environments.

The closest to an IDE environment for OpenVMS would be NetBeans or the Eclipse product that's around.

Java is expressly designed to not tie into any underlying platform, and it does not tie into Windows and it does not tie into OpenVMS, nor Mac OS X nor Linux nor... You have to go out of your way (JNI) to get to the underlying system. Java has its own executable format and its own frameworks; it's as much a portable operating system run-time environment as a language.

BTW: .COM is an executable on Microsoft Windows. On OpenVMS, a .COM file is called a command procedure, and is the rough equivalent of a shell script on Unix or PowerShell on Microsoft Windows.

If you're interested in learning more here, get yourself a textbook on operating systems (beyond Microsoft Windows) and start reading.
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

To get a fairly quick introduction to OpenVMS from a user prospective you might look at this site:

http://plato.ccsscorp.com

It is has a self-paced introduction to OpenVMS with references to Windows/DOS/Unix/Linux along the way for those with those environments as a prior experience.

There is not cost to use these courses.

Regards,

Bill.
Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC