1748250 Members
3279 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetBeans V5.5-1 can't create OpenVMS Remote project

Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

NetBeans V5.5-1 can't create OpenVMS Remote project

I have NetBeans V5.5-1 on my WinXP desktop and am running the NetBeans IDE server T5.0 FT2 on my VMS V7.3-2 box.

I don't know if any of the usual folks here are familiar at all with NetBeans at all, but just in case someone can provide a tip:

I have installed the .nbm module(s) on the Windows side that support development of VMS applications.

In NetBeans on the WinXP side I've successfully set up a remote IDE server connection to the VMS box. But I can't successfully create "OpenVMS Remote Application" projects or create files in the odd-looking projects that do get created.

When I click the "finish" button in the "New OpenVMS 3GL Application" window I get a _nameless_ generic icon in the Projects tab. That's the first indication that something is probably wrong.

Just to see how far I could get, I went ahead and tried to create a new file in the project. I selected "New File..." then chose the category "OpenVMS C/C++ C source file" and the file type "Simple C main program". Then I clicked next.

I didn't get a file. Instead I got a blinking alert icon (red circle with white vertical bar) in the lower right of the main IDE window. Clicking on this tells me that a Java Null Pointer Exception occurred and shows me a Java traceback.

I've looked at this with a Java developer of ours who knows enough about NetBeans to recognize some of what's on the traceback, but we haven't been able to get anywhere.

Even a pointer to a more appropriate discussion or forum might be helpful.

(Before I forget, the WinXP box has JDK V1.6.0 Java HotSpot Client. The VMS system has both V1.4-2 and V1.5-3; the IDE server appears to be using V1.4-2.)
5 REPLIES 5
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Galen,

Is there any evidence that the request from the WinXP system has triggered anything on the OpenVMS system? Any logfiles, audit entries or accounting records?

Try enabling login and logout audits:

$ REPLY/ENABLE=SECURITY
$ SET AUDIT/ALARM/ENABLE=(LOGIN:ALL,LOGOUT:ALL)

Now repeat your attempt to create a file and see what audits you get. If you don't see anything, look for configuration issues on the PC. If you do see stuff, look for log files, hopefully with helpful error messages.

This is the appropriate place to post OpenVMS NetBeans questions.

A crucible of informative mistakes
Meg Watson
Advisor

Hi Galen,

That's very strange. There is a log file in your NetBeans user directory. If you would be so kind as to send it to me, it might help. You can locate the log file by clicking the Help/About menu, then shoosing the Detail tab. Find the User Dir on the Detail page. Go to the user dir and look in the \var\log folder. You should see a log file.

One other question...for the remote FTP directory root, what are you choosing?

And, we can take the rest of this conversation to email (our usual support method for the FT2 kit). You can reach me at NetBeans@hp.com.

Regards,
Meg Watson
Distributed NetBeans for OpenVMS Engineering
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I think you probably did this, but you'll never know.

Be sure you are able to FTP from and to the account you're using for the projects.

It might be that usage of the 1.4-2 version causes the problem. I used 1.5-3 on VMS and 1.6 on XP and had no problems with this (apart from performance (and related issues) on the VMS box, which is just matching the requirements but way too small)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

John wrote:
> Try enabling login and logout audits:

I should have thought of that myself! I've often used audits as a debugging tool in the past.

I'll certainly try as you suggest, John.

Meg wrote:
> There is a log file in your NetBeans user directory. If you would be so kind as
> to send it to me, it might help.

This might be a little difficult because of our government customer's security policy.

The easiest way, but not the most readily useful for you, would be to fax a copy--it's 10 pages, but the first several contain routine startup stuff. (Since we're on a private net, there are a few UnknownHostExceptions for netbeans.org.)

If you need it to be machine-readable I'll have to burn a CD and take it to security with justification. Then they check the CD somehow for classified material. A govt. sign-off might be required too. After that I take it to an unclassified Internet desktop and attach it to a reply here.

Some coworkers have gone through these hoops recently and might be able to help me get through the process, so I can check into it.

Let me know if fax would be okay. Otherwise I'll start working on the security process.

> One other question...for the remote FTP directory root, what are you
> choosing?

I'm choosing an existing subdirectory of my login directory. The explicit directory specification that I'm entering into NetBeans on the PC looks like this:
$1$DQA1:[USER.TACKGAL.PROJECTS.NB_CTEST]

On the VMS side it's also set up to use a rooted directory for $1$DQA1:[USER.] so that I can refer to it as USER:[TACKGAL.PROJECTS.NB_CTEST] but for now I've been avoiding the rooted directory usage on the PC side.

> And, we can take the rest of this conversation to email (our usual support
> method for the FT2 kit). You can reach me at NetBeans@hp.com.

Will do.

Willem wrote:
> Be sure you are able to FTP from and to the
> account you're using for the projects.

Done

> It might be that usage of the 1.4-2 version causes the problem. I used 1.5-3
> on VMS and 1.6 on XP and had no problems with this.

I now have V1.5-0 on the VMS side and have defined IDE$JDK_VERSION to "150" to make sure that version gets used. I've verified from the PC side that this is so via the NetBeans Remote IDE Servers properties.
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

This was more or less resolved over the phone and via e-mail with Meg. We found that our problem was specific to a particular version of Java, though Meg wasn't able to duplicate this on her system.

Now that a newer FT version of NetBeans is out this may all be irrelevant anyway. I haven't had a chance to install it and try it out.

Thanks to Meg and all who contributed your comments.