108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netbeans FTP filesystem problem on Mac NB client

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marty Kuhrt
Occasional Advisor

Netbeans FTP filesystem problem on Mac NB client

On my Mac running OS X 10.4.11 I'm using NB 5.5.1 with the distnbopenvms55_v55_100.nbm add on. On the VMS side I'm running Alpha V8.3 with all the prescribed patches. For TCP/IP I'm running Multinet V5.2 with all the patches.

When I try to create a FTP file system project the Mac it times out with a "read error" message. I _can_ connect to the VMS box using FTP in Finder. Initially I couldn't until I set Multinet logicals to emulate a unix file system for its FTP responses.

There doesn't seem to be any logging on the Mac side to indicate what the underlying problem is. Can anyone make suggestions as to what I should be looking for?
Can't keep it up? You need VMS!
8 REPLIES 8
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Do you mean that you did MULTINET_FTP_DISALLOW_UNIX_STYLE FALSE ?

Note that it requires HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Version 5.4 ECO 4 or higher. Thus not qualified for multinet.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I would try a tcptrace to find out after which info it gives the read error. Probably unexpected output of ls (put it in Unix format ?).

fwiw

Wim
Wim
Marty Kuhrt
Occasional Advisor

I could not get Finder on the Mac to do FTP until I set the following...

$ def/sys/exec MULTINET_FTP_UNIX_STYLE_BY_DEFAULT TRUE
$ def/sys/exec MULTINET_FTP_UNIX_STRIP_VERSION TRUE
$ def/sys/exec MULTINET_FTP_STRIP_VERSION TRUE

I was hoping there would be some way to use my existing Multinet setup instead of installing and configuring UCX (old school name).

Odd thing is that if I do an FTP connect via Finder, there will be a log in my home directory. If I try to do an FTP file system in Netbeans I don't. I _do_ see that the FTP connection from the Mac for the NB connection in the Multinet:ftp.log file, though.

Dist netbeans no longer supports Multinet. You can find the FTP log on MAC under distributed folder of user dir of IDE (e.g. E:\\distributed\ftp_.log. User dir can be identified by going to Help menu of Netbeans IDE -> About item -> Detail tab).
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor
Solution

One MultiNet customer reported a problem using NetBeans to access the MultiNet FTP server. Upon analysis of a TCPDUMP it was found that NetBeans was not complying with RFC 959 (FTP) when trying to do FTP. Commands were being terminates with linefeed, not carriage return linefeed as the RFC states.
Marty Kuhrt
Occasional Advisor

Subramanian: Thanks for the info. I found the ftp log file in /Users/marty/.netbeans/5.5/distributed/ftp_marty.log

Unfortunately, it only logged that I connected and not any errors or timeout info.

Richard: I was guessing that would be the case. Thanks for your feedback.

I can't decide now if I should try installing CIFS and do it that way, or play around with another FTP server.

p.s. is there any way to reply to just one part of the message and include it? Replying to the whole thing seems clunky.
Marty Kuhrt
Occasional Advisor

There does not seem to be a solution for my current setup. I must change how the remote (VMS side) file system is accessed, as NB 5.5 does not seem to follow the RFCs for FTP.

P.S. even though I did NOT check the "problem solved" box, I got the magic bunny anyway. The problem can not be solved with the current setup.
Marty Kuhrt
Occasional Advisor

Even though I did NOT check the "problem solved" box, I got the magic bunny anyway. The problem can not be solved with the current setup.