108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netcopy

SOLVED
Go to solution
vmsserbo
Super Advisor

Netcopy

I created a script that needs to run on all of our 70 systems. Can someone show me what commands I would use to copy it over to all node. The file is in our ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM

The directory is universal on all our systems.

I am assumin I would have to creat a com file and then execute it?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Netcopy

Miles,

Personally, given the choice, I would use either DECnet Task to Task capabilities, presuming that I had network access to all of the systems. Another option is to copy the files to the remote systems and use the SET ENVIRONMENT command in SYSMAN to execute it.

In either case, you need to code this as a command file.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

You need the node name and a userid and password for each node, unless some proxy access has been configured.
Basically for decnet access

$ copy ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM -
nodea"myusername password"::ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]

Nodea is the name of a host. The trick is the username and password inside the string.

for FTP you can

$ ftp nodename /username="myusername"/ password="password"
cd ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]
put DMSCIPT_HOOK.COM
bye

03:00 hours AEST.
My 2 cents.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Do you have r-services setup with proxies?
Do you have decnet between the systems with proxies?

If you have the decnet or r-services then you can perform the function with either the proxies setup or by passing the account & password.

Quick example:
Node1 - original file resides here
node2 - where you want to put it

copy ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM node2::ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM
(this is with decnet and proxies - assuming account has default permissions to write to admin_dev:[admin])

copy ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM node2"account password"::ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM
(this is with decnet without proxies)

rcp /log /username="account" /password="password" ":ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM" node2:ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK.COM

(rcp is where I have the least knowledge. I end up having to play with it each time)

Overall you can do this copy or rcp for each of the 70 different machines. Doing in one command file with an output log file would show which copy functions errored.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Miles,

as far as I can see the "needs to run" is the most important part of your question.

I will assume the scripts have already been copied (the previous answers can help you there.

Using DECnet, you will need sysman:
For easy use, have the same account with the same password on all systems (_IF_ your security policy allows that, otherwise, expand the following to use multiple invocations) and
$ DEFINE/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE ALL_NODES
$ MCR SYSMAN
SET ENVIRONMENT/NODE=ALL_NODES

DO @ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK
EXIT

To capture the output,
$ DEFINE SYS$OUTPUT/USER
just before the MCR SYSMAN.

Using rsh:
SET TCPIP PROXIES, and

$ RSH /USER= @ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK

and repeat for all nodes.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Miles,

you can add "SYSMAN SET TIMEOUT time_limit"
before DO copy or Jan's "DO @ADMIN_DEV:[ADMIN]DMSCRIPT_HOOK" command.

If any node takes extra time to respond for the SYSMAN command, this SET TIMEOUT command gives the specified time limit to execute the sysman command for each node. otherwise the command execution will be skipped on some node. You can use /PAUSE or /CONFIRM qualifiers also with DO command.

Archunan

Regards
Archie
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

One option not mentioned is SUBMIT/REMOTE (after the file copied). Read the HELP and see. Id probably use SYSMAN with a logical name that defines the list of nodes.