Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking on Open VMS using CHARON VAX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Lusk
Occasional Contributor

Networking on Open VMS using CHARON VAX

I am attempting to use the CHARON VAX emulator on a PC to replace a VAX 4000. I have been trying to use both ports on the HP/COMPAQ NC3122 dual port LAN card with no success. Any advice?
4 REPLIES
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Networking on Open VMS using CHARON VAX

Bob,

in general, you need to install the CHARON-VAX ndis5 network packet driver and activate this driver/protocol on one of the 2 NIC cards as the only protocol (de-active all other network protocol bindings on that card).

Then add the name of that card into the CHARON-VAX .CFG file.

Cold you please describe what kind of error/problem you are seeing and what exactly you were doing ?

Volker.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi Bob,

Being no expert on CHARON VAX, but browsing the net, I found something about "Configuring multiple Ethernet adapters in CHARON-VAX" at http://www.softresint.com/charon-vax/app_notes.htm#rn

Hope this helps,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Bob Lusk
Occasional Contributor

Volker

There are multiple ways to enter LAN information in the .cfg file. One way is with a simple name string (i.e. load ndis5_packet_port XQB0 interface="3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) #3") or by the specification of a long ugly hex numeric string (i.e. load ndis5_packet_port eza_0 interface="\Device\Packet_{2B585F2A-8058-4AB4-8D12-26473422AA01}".

Thanks,
Bob
Bob Lusk
Occasional Contributor

See the reply to Volker. It all comes down to the documentation.