1752280 Members
4841 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New Tape Drive

byron moore
Advisor

New Tape Drive

I need to replace a failing tape drive. I have never done this before. Is there anything I have to do other than mounting it with mount/for device? Do I have to discover or anything?

Openvms 7.2-2

HP Ultrium 2-SCSI

Thanks for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Swapping a tape drive in what box? For what drive?

If this is a standard peripheral SCSI-based tape drive from TK50Z onward mounted in an AlphaServer or AlphaStation box or such, the only way you'll ever find out the "anything else" sorts of stuff is to go try it. That'll tell you if the connectors fit, if the rails align, if the mounting slot is deep enough for the cables, and the rest of the "anything else" that can crop up. Usually, this stuff swaps pretty easily.

If this is a tape drive within a robot library or loader that's connected to this OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-2 box, then things can get a bit more interesting.

Or if you're not comfortable with this sort of integration and testing stuff, call in somebody to swap it for you.
byron moore
Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

It is a SCSI based device. I guess we will see in a moment.

Thanks.

Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

Assuming that the drive physically fits and that the connections are correct, then you may have to change the SCSI ID on the drive. This can be as simple or difficult as changing a set of jumpers on the drive. Some of the newer HP tape drive enclosures have selectors on the back of the enclosure to set the SCSI ID and this then has a cable that plugs onto the SCSI tape drive instead of the jumpers.

Without knowing the drive/enclosure/form factor, it's difficult to know. Ultrium drives like the Ultrium 448 can be either standalone or internal. Internal drives can vary between mounting in a 1U tape shelf or a 3U shelf.

Steve