New Discussion юеВ

New Terminal Setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
nipun_2
Regular Advisor

New Terminal Setup

Hello all,
I had discussed this problem previously and am continuing with it.

My current scenario.
XP 1000 and DS25 clustered as a common environment with System disk on DS25. The o.s is V 7.3-1 (Having Lan Cp and Denet Plus installed).The two system are connected via LAN

I am planning to introduce(via LAN) a new terminal EV68 (DS 25 workstation). This is a new terminal with V 7.3-2 pre installed. So when I start the system it comes to a blue screen and I give

>>> BOOT DA0
and FIS procedure starts.

My objective is to add EV68 to the current cluster and still keep common environment. So my confusion is this.

Should I continue with FIS procedure and do the installation. If I continue with FIS procedure then V7.3-2 will be installed on EV 68 and currently I have V 7.3-1 on the cluster which is what I wish to keep.

OR

get the CD rom for V7.3-1 and boot the system with the CD ROM.

Please give some suggestions and I will accordingly provide more information. I would finally like to add EV68 to the current cluster ,hopefully with a simple setup.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: New Terminal Setup

Nipun,
philosophically talking V7.3-2 has more stuff than 7.3-1 therefore it's better. Even cluster works.
Really you have to understand if you need V7.3-2 new features or if you can install V7.3-1 without trouble.
Look at V7.3-2 release notes http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/6668/6668PRO.HTML then you can take your best decision.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Nipun,

you can do both!

If you continue FIS, AND YOU GIVE IT THE CLUSTER NUMBER & PASSWORD OF YOUR CLUSTER, you have a 7.3-2 node in your cluster.
You will have to do the logical names setup for the cluster-common files.

Then you can shutdown, and do @CLUSTER_CONFIG on your existing cluster node, to add your new node as a satellite. DO NOT INITIALIZE THE LOCAL DISK.

Now, your new node will be a 7.3-1 satellite.

Whenever you want, you can shut it down, and boot over the network to be a satellite, with the boot-node OS (currently 7.3-1) or, boot from the local disk, with the own OS, currently 7.3-2.

We already have discussed the common disk logical names, if that is not yet fully clear, then ask for more help.

Success!

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
nipun_2
Regular Advisor

Hello all thanks for the reply,
so I did some primitive system analysis. I checked both methods
1) for doing FIS of V 7.3-2 using BOOT DKA0

And it started the FIS procedure (I quit for now)

2) Put the CDROM of V 7.3-1 and Booted using
BOOT DQA0 (Although I had to try all the devices by BOOT DKA100, BOOT DQA0 when I understood that DQA0 was the CD-Rom, if there is some documentation to know that let me know and I will read through it (not important at this moment).

Now Let's say I choose Option 1 and go with V7.3-2
Would there be anything extra I need to do then when I install V 7.3-1. Jan mentioned about

You will have to do the logical names setup for the cluster-common files.

So this I assume I have to do for V7.3-2 or V7.3-1 installation.
Basically, I am thinking of going ahead with V7.3-2 now since it is a better version and a chance to explore it. But if it involves some complication then just go with V7.3-1
so please let me know on that.

If V 7.3-2 is a good option then I had few questions?
Now It asks for System Id & SCS Node
How do I decide on that. I gave Show Cluster and Show network on the clustered node and it gave me Node: XXXXX Address: X.XX and System Id: XXXXX. Now all the three parameters were different for the two nodes in the current clustered system.

So how do I assign these to the new system during FIS?

How do I find the cluster group and cluster password?

Regaring Initialize and Preservere I got those options when installing from V7.3-1 CD-Rom. So I am assuming I WON'T get those options while FIS procedure (V 7.3-2) as that is the only system currently on the hard drive??

Please let me konw...I will read all your suggestions and improvise the questions and do more analysis.

thanks again for your help
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

I understood that DQA0 was the CD-Rom, if there is some documentation to know that let me know and I will read through it (not important at this moment).

DQxx is not CD-ROM but IDE/ATA device, so your CD-ROM is not SCSI.

If V 7.3-2 is a good option then I had few questions?
Now It asks for System Id & SCS Node
How do I decide on that. I gave Show Cluster and Show network on the clustered node and it gave me Node: XXXXX Address: X.XX and System Id: XXXXX. Now all the three parameters were different for the two nodes in the current clustered system.

Same as V7.3-1

Regaring Initialize and Preservere I got those options when installing from V7.3-1 CD-Rom. So I am assuming I WON'T get those options while FIS procedure (V 7.3-2) as that is the only system currently on the hard drive??

If I remember you could choose Preserve.

Ready, steady, install ..
be dare!
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Nipun,

- If you use DKA0 with FIS, then you build an EXTRA system disk.

- Like Antonio wrote, DQ is IDE/ATA device driver. That driver drives DQxy devices. So, if your CD device is an IDE/ATA, the name of such device will always be DQxy, where x = A for the first controller, B for the second, and so on. y = 0 for the first device on a controller, 1 for the second, and so on (SCSI does not count 0, 1, 2, 3, ... but 0, 100, 200, 300... )

But, you have found your CD drive, so that is OK.

You can use that drive to do a limited boot of any version that knows this specific hardware, newer hardware needs higher minimum version.

If you want add your node to the existing cluster, then you @CLUSTER_CONFIG at the existing cluster. You will be asked for the new nodename, the ethernet address, and the SCSSYSTEMID. The SCSSYSTEMID you make from the DECnet address (X.YY) that you are gonna give to the new machine. Calculate it as (X * 1024) + YY. The ethernet address shows during power-up (XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX).
The cluster number and password are on the system disk, and since this becomes a common system disk, there is nothing to do..

This is the easiest way to add a node to a cluster.

If you later on want to make a 2-system-disk cluster (say, with 7.3-1 and 7.3-2), then it is also easier if you already have communication before.

Let us know if this helps you going, and tell us what you need more.

Suvccess,

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
nipun_2
Regular Advisor

Hello all,
Thanks for your help Jan and Antonio.
I have atleast got the FIS procedure going so now EV68 is up and running with V 7.3-2. So it felt great to login and view the new system.

Question summary:
- Whether to run cluster_config first in clustered node or the node I want to be added? (I know i need to run it in both but where would it be first)
- Please go through my information. I wasn't clear so have tried to put in as much as I can.

The current setup status is as follows

NEW SYSTEM:
EV68 has V 7.3-2 however I got the following message

When you log in to the system as System Manager's account.....
CONFIGURE DECnet
CONFIGURE TCP/IP Services
INSTALL WEBES (See SYS$HELP:FIS.RELEASE_NOTES)
FIS notes

So right now I am not sure whether I need to do configuration for Decnet and TCP/IP.

I gave @cluster_config (on new system)and

It came up with the following

Decnet Plus is Installed
Decnet is not running,
Lancp Lan server process is running

Lan not Decnet will be used for downline loading

(1) Add Sizzle to existing cluster, or form a new cluster
(2)....

I choose (1)

Is the node to be a cluster Fibre Channel or SCSI:? No (I have Lan running using Ethernet)

But in the example of cluster they said Yes.
So I am confused here ?...

What is node's SCS node name? Sizzle ? (or the clustered node's name, if I give clustered node's name it aborts)

IF I give SIZZLE THEN..
Will the LAN be used for cluster communication? (Y/N) ? YES

Enter this cluster's group number :

Here I stopped because I checked in the currently clustered node for CLUSTER_AUTHORIZE.DAT in sys$common:[sysexe]. I couldn't see such a file. Someone before mentioned I don't need group number ...in the end no idea.....

CLUSTERED SYSTEM:
I gave up there (EV68) and went to the clustered node and started
Cluster_config and well I have attached the output as txt file...

I have lot of reading to do..so any steps you provide will as usual make things lot more clearer

Thanks again in advance