1751718 Members
4991 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New daylight savings 2007

George_145
Valued Contributor

Supported kits are V6.2, V7.3-2, V8.2 Alpha and V8.2 and V8.2-1 Integrity. ACRTL kits do not have any UPDATE requirements and since you need to install the ACRTL as well as the TZ kit, there will be no UPDATE kit requirements. There will be a requirement to have the latest PCSI utility kit installed.

George Pagliarulo
OpenVMS Remedial Patch Process
Benjamin Levy
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info.

Do either of the kits require a reboot?
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Any knowledge as to why changes to the C RTL are required? I would have thought that only the addition of new timezone rules would be necessary?
edward w. white
Occasional Advisor

i may be really missing something here, but i change my clocks with a homemade batch job that directly calls SYS$SYSTEM:UTC$CONFIGURE_TDF.EXE. i do this on several 7.2-1 boxes. why would i need to patch vms for the 2007 changes?

it seems there won't be a patch for 7.2-1 anyway.
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

The US Energy Policy Act of 2005 changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the US Beginning in 2007. DST will begin on the second Sunday of March and end the first Sunday of November. This will require new rules being incorporated into daylight savings time change software for US states where time changes occur.
edward w. white
Occasional Advisor

i understand why we are changing the times. my question is since i'm changing my times (wall clock and tdf) manually, will that method not work in 2007? when i tested my dcl code several years ago, i could change stuff all day long and vms (and old ism mumps) took the changes in stride.

Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

For many systems only the system time matters. Perhaps yours is one of them.

But, you may run into problems if you run applications that use the C time functions since one of the values in the related time structure is a daylight savings indicator that may be loaded using the value of the system logical name SYS$TIMEZONE_DAYLIGHT_SAVING. The value of that logical is set based upon the timezone rule that is in effect. You can see the rule in the value of another system logical SYS$TIMEZONE_RULE. An incorrect value of that DST flag in the time structure will result in the return of a time that is off by an hour for locations that implement daylight savings time changes.
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

And, since you mention "old" ISM MUMPS, the CRTL behavior relative to time changed with VMS 6.0 (I think it was then). Prior to that only the system clock was considered. More recnet versions utilize the SYS$TIME* values.
edward w. white
Occasional Advisor

i don't have either of those logicals. all i have is sys$timezone_differential. my understanding at the time was that utc$configure_tdf.exe sets that logical. for 721 that command is actually undocumented. what i know may be wrong.
Dave Dellarocco_1

I'm aware of the 2 patches that are required but there seems to be no mention of when to apply these. I would like to apply with my upgrades this summer but not sure if this will affect the up coming time change in October 06.

Any info would be appreciated.