Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New john the ripper patch

David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

New john the ripper patch

I attached a zip file with a new patch for John the Ripper (1.7.3.1) to support OpenVMS password hashes. The major difference between this patch and the 2002 patch by Jean-loup Gailly is that this version supports mixed-case passwords (UAI flag UAI$M_PWDMIX). It is also multi-threaded, increasing performance up to 50-65% on a dual-processor system (splitting your password file into multiple jobs is probably more effective).

The only builds done so far are on OpenVMS Alpha 8.3, OS X 10.5.7 (Mac Mini), and an old PC linux distro.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
2 REPLIES
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

Re: New john the ripper patch

I've refined the patch to improve performance and attached a new kit.

The first refinement is a rewrite of the exponentiation function, which had it's long-ago origin as transliterated VAX macro. I changed a complicated loop into 2 simpler loops that the compiler has an easier time optimizing. I then applied Gailly's exponent factorization trick to the hash computation. My comments, though, give a more correct analysis of the effect of the optimization (38 extended precision multiplies versus 48).
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Highlighted
vman
Frequent Visitor

Re: New john the ripper patch

I made a new patch kit compatible with John the Ripper 1.7.8.  There were only minor changes.