Re: Newbie Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
widuvuwe
Visitor

Newbie Question

1.  Getting the error when I try to log into one of my systems:

ERROR ACCESSING SYSTEM AUTHORIZATION FILE

ERROR IN DEVICE NAME OR INAPPROPRIATE DEVICE TYPE FOR OPERATION.

The errors I see when booting seem related:

%MOUNT-I-SH <---goes to fast but I am pretty sure it had something to do w/ shadow volume mount of DUA101

2.  Is there any way to transfer licenses from one server to another?  Same exact hardware but shutting a server down in one location and standing up in another and we would like to not have to purchase new licenses.

2 REPLIES 2
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

1. the system-wide logical SYSUAF does not seem to point to a valid and accessible SYSUAF.DAT file. The disk, on which that file resides, does not seem to be correctly mounted or otherwise inaccessible. You should be able to login on OPA0:

2. technically, the licenses are stored in SYS$SYSTEM:LMF$LICENSE.LDB. You could copy that file. You might need to modify some licenses with $ LIC MODIFY xxx/INCLUDE=new_node-name to allow them to load on the new node. 

Volker.

Hein_vdHeuvel_d
Advisor

1) Check earlier post by Volker - https://community.hpe.com/t5/operating-system-openvms/how-to-login-into-system-showing-quot-error-accessing-system/td-p/6742655#.X8UQZGhKiHt

2) "Same exact hardware but shutting " - KISS - just give the new system the old name.

If old and new need to run in parallel then give the old server a new temporary name, or play with network settings to redirect to new server. Best I recall the system licenses will not have a node name in there. 3rd party applications may well have a node-name for example the Attunity Connect server stores a license outside LMF in its own structures.  It is best to simply let the new server continue under the old name and be done.

hth,

Hein