108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No Such User on Integrity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

No Such User on Integrity

Customer got their first Integrity server (it's a loaner for proof of concept). It's running OpenVMS V8.3, all their other systems are V6.2 and V7.1. I telnet to the server and log onto the system account with no problem. I then run authorize and create some user accounts. When trying to log on with the new user accounts they get "User authorization failure" and the opcom message is "no such user". I've tried alphabetic, numeric and alphanumeric passwords with no success. User flag is noPwdMix. I have no experience with OpenVMS V8.3. Can the problem be case sensitive usernames? Can someone tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it? Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Shankar Bose
Advisor

Russ,

You need Open VMS-USER license for your new system.

Regards
Shankar
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I'll contact the user and let him know.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Russ,

It is also possible that the accounts were added to a different copy of SYSUAF than the copy being used by the system.

Check to make sure that the accounts are actually in the active copy of the SYSUAF. This behavior has been consistent in OpenVMS for many years (see references for UAFALT, etc.)

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Russ

Either your SYSUAF.DAT is located in SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE] or you must have defined the logical SYSUAF pointing to that file.

def /sys/exec sysuaf disk:[directory]sysuaf.dat

Its also possiple that you logged in to your default directory and used MC AUTHORIZE to creat the account. If then the logical sysuaf is undefined, the authorize utility will create a new sysuaf.dat in your current default directory (It asks you then if you want to create a new sysuaf.dat)

Its further possible that you did a set def SYS$SYSTEM after login and then used the authorize utility. In this case the sysuaf.dat could be in sys$sysroot:[sysexe] and so its valid only for that node in a cluster where you created it.

I have no expirience with noPwdMix, but with
$ mc authorize help mod /flag
you can find out that there should no case sensitivity, if this flag is set.

But first check the logical sysuaf and if not defined check if the sysuaf.dat is in sys$common:[sysexe]. Check also that you don't have sysuaf.dat files in the specific root of a given machine.

Hope theat will give some help to you

Regards
Heinz
Hoff
Honored Contributor

A No Such User error is typically indicating a problem with the UAF, probably its location or related (as Bob G. references), or the username might not be present in the UAF.

Shankar Bose points to licensing, though I'd tend to expect a licensing error to show as a different error. Typically, as a NOLICENSE error, IIRC. Further, OpenVMS I64 on Integrity doesn't implement user-based licenses. The FOE/EOE/MCOE operating environment licenses used on the platform all have unlimited-user licenses. You certainly do need an OE license, but there's no user license for OpenVMS I64.

I've posted up some information around loading the core licenses at the HoffmanLabs web site (though due to severe electrical storms in the area, offline right now; the main power is unstable). Though this case doesn't look like the usual footprint of a licensing error.

If you'd like to discuss this matter offline, do let me know.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Some user created a rogue SYSUAF.DAT and no SYSUAF logical. Cleaned up file and created logical which resolved the problem.