New Discussion

No free block left after backup/image

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: No free block left after backup/image

Gérard,

in your first screenshots, you've used BACKUP/IMAGE, that should have correctly initialized the output disk. Were these screenshots from different tests ?

Volker.

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

Yes Volker that's true

i used first /image and faced the 0 free block left problem. i then used the other backup.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

I would have expected the BACKUP/IMAGE to initialize the disk with the same clustersize as the input disk.  You can either initialize the disk prior to the backup and specify BACKUP/NOINIT or just make sure that there is no symbol set up for backup that is turning off the initialization stage.  As you have seen, the difference in clustersize will cause the space usage change you are seeing.

Dan

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

Thank's Dan i Will use a backup noimage and noinit alter manual initilization.

regards

Gerard

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

No.  Please use BACKUP/IMAGE for the entire disk.  The key here is to add the qualifier /NOINIT.  This will make sure that your initializaton won't be overwritten.  Truthfully, BACKUP/IMAGE should have preserved the clustersize of the disk being copied, but for whatever reason it did not.  An IMAGE copy is required here to preserve any back links etc.

Dan

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

Hello Dan,

As it is not a system disk i think i can use a backup of [*...]*.*;* with the /by_owner qualifier on the destination.

I think the backup/image on the first post did the initialisation with the same clustersize as the source disk. The différent clustersize later in this post is the result of a manual initialization and backup. ( result of différent trys)

Btw i will try the /image/noinit ...

Thank you fit your help

Gerard