108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No keyclick on AlphaServer DS10L

SOLVED
Go to solution
Drew Shelton
Occasional Advisor

No keyclick on AlphaServer DS10L

I have an AlphaServer DS10L running OpenVMS 7.3-2 and Motif 1.3-1 with an OpenVMS keyboard, LK411-AA. There is no audible keyclick, no matter how high I set the keyclick volume. I even tried defining the system logical DECW$SERVER_KEYCLICK_VOLUME to 100 and restarting DECwindows, but it made no difference. What am I missing?
4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor

There's no keyclick on the PC DIN interface keyboards, so the bell and the keyclick are simulated via the speaker. In the AlphaServer DS10L, the speaker is in the front of the box. (Does it work?)

There were some changes in this area a while back that affected DECwindows Motif in particular, versus CDE.

In DECwindows Motif, keyclick max is:

$ @decw$utils:decw$define_utils
$ xset c 100
Drew Shelton
Occasional Advisor

The bell works just fine, so I know the speaker works. Does my LK411-AA have the PC DIN interface?

I am running CDE, which I didn't realize was separate from Motif.

I tried the "xset c 100" command, but nothing changed.
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your LK411 has the PS/2 6DIN.

AFAIK, the DEC 2000 series (DECpc 150 AXP) and the AlphaStation, AlphaServer and later series all have the PS/2 6DIN or (for the most recent Alpha boxes and for Integrity) USB.

FWIW, I have a list of various common keyboards and their interfaces posted at http://64.223.189.234/node/19

Yes, there are (were) differences between how the CDE interface worked and how the Motif interface worked with the keyboard driver.

With the DECwindows CDE interface, there are pitch and volume settings in either the session manager or inside the DECterm set-up menus. (I always had to look through the menus for that stuff, as it tended to be scattered.)

If you're current on your GRAPHICS driver ECOs (and specifically on the IKDRIVER keyboard driver), this is arguably fodder for a discussion with HP support. (I can't say I've ever tried to enable keyclick on one of these boxes, though the AlphaServer DS10L is quite similar to the AlphaStation DS10 series.)

Drew Shelton
Occasional Advisor

FWIW, I tried running the old DECwindows interface. Same result.

An in a "why-didn't-I-try-this-earlier" moment, I tried our AlphaServer 800 and our 2 DS20's, all running the same versions with the same patch levels. None of them click.

Also FWIW, I'm running the latest GRAPHICS patch (version 4). A search for IKDRIVER in the HP patch database for 7.3-2 Alpha doesn't find anything.

Thanks for all of your help.