New Discussion юеВ

Re: Not getting feedback points in return for answers

SOLVED
Go to solution
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Not getting feedback points in return for answers

Hello,
I've joined this forum recently. Many of you old timers may have noticed that I've been answering some of the questions. Lately, I have not been getting feedback points. I'm about ready to call it quits if I don't start getting a higher rate of feedback for my answers. This is a nice forum, the free advice to people in need, but I would think the least questioners can do is immediately provide points!

Thanks
;)
DECxchange
41 REPLIES 41
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

DECxchange,

Some people rate the feedback, some do not. Every so often, Jan (or one of us other "old timers") places a post in one of the threads that took a lot of people's time and did not rate the answers.

Yes, it would be courteous if all questioners did award points, but that is not always the case.

Your participation is welcome. An active community benefits all.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I would think the least questioners can do
> is immediately provide points!

I guess that you'd be wrong, then. The least
that people can do is nothing.

If these points were so valuable, perhaps you
could use them to buy yourself a life.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

DECxchange,

Free advice is worth every cent. Free "points" are probably worth even less!

I tend to agree with you that it costs nothing for the questioner to leave you feedback and it's discourteous not to respond in some way. On the other hand life is too short to be bothered by other people's discourtesy.

(If it makes you feel any better, maybe you should keep a "black list" of people who haven't awarded points in the past, and not answer their questions in future?)
A crucible of informative mistakes
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

DECxchange,

I notice you are a registered member for only just over one month.

For many questions, that may be just too short to already have found out WHICH answer did provide WHAT part of the answer.

Several people only give points (for all answers at once) when they Close a thread.

I can hardly disagree with that, although it is not MY usual habit.

However, I found out that it is not extremely rare to sometimes get points with over a year of delay.

All in all, I just see the points as a funny extra to the pleasure of gaining and spreading knowledge about our beloved VMS.

(but I must admit, since I entered top-10 I added it to my professional CV, and it certainly is no negative influence!).

For completeness, I will append my template for posters with a low awarding rate.

No copyright, you are free to use it (and take some of the effort out of my hands :-)

If some unanswered threads are very old, I use to add a remark on that right after the ---/quote--

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

I don't expect immediate points, but I think that it if the replies helped the person with the question to arrive at a solution to his problem, then he should give out points based on the usefulness when the solution has been determined. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, there are some people who don't give out points. It may be that these people have come here with a problem, get it solved, and don't expect to ever return.

It can take a long time to move up in the "ranks", especially if you don't have a lot of time to contribute answers.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

To quote Drew Carey "the questions are all made up, and the points don't matter"!

Life would be great if one was always rewarded for doing something "good", but it's not always a "huge loss" if your not.

Perhaps one thing you might consider is using your real name or at least signing your message with a first name? Making it a bit more personal might help your quest for points. Maybe not.

Don't take it too hard ... the points _are_ imaginary.

Cheers,
Art
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Believe me, my name is pretty much as common as my handle! But thanks for the kind words. It looks like I'm not the only one where my "life" consists primarily of just thinking about VMS!

Art, Greg
Greg, Art
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Dec 3, 2007 04:13:22 GMT 0 pts

I'd feel hurt, except that I actually have a
life. Best of luck in your quest for
self-esteem, though.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Over in the general itrc forum
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=296

the lack of feedback is a regular topic and there are no definitive answers.

It is best not to give any significance to points and to supply answers for free.