1753774 Members
6918 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

ODBC connection

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: ODBC connection

Ok; so you're probably running an equivalent and old version of the Oracle Rdb ODBC server; see if there are any logs. Most of the Rdb server pieces are decent at generating logs when they go weird, though I've hit cases back in that range that did occasionally lock up.

One of the sneakiest cases I dealt with was due to too-low process quotas; they were marginal enough to mostly work, but not sufficient to actually work.

And there's nothing here that rules out bad or buggy hardware, too. Old disks can and variously do go walkabout, and with minimal or no hardware errors or warnings. Termination can be an issue, too. A SCSI reset often clears those cases. But these can and do tend to re-occur until remediated.

Oracle is almost certainly going to recommend an ECO kit or three for this version of Rdb, and there are many ECOs for problems in OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-2. This isn't as good as upgrading, but it might well be a "mostly free" and minimally invasive option that's available for you.

Frustrating? Sure. Been there. You would not have wanted to hear the comments when I first landed on [expurgated] platform. Parentage was questioned. Again, get yourself some help or some training or an escalation path; these little text boxes and the back-and-forth that's inevitable in these cases just don't work well.
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Re: ODBC connection

As others have said - this could be anything.

And don't hold your breath waiting on DECevent - that will only help if it's a limited set of problems.

How long had this been working before you had a problem? Any changes on the web server side (or anything external)? Not trying to lay blame - just trying to get some ideas.

As Hoff and Hein said - VMS and Rdb versions are old. Lots of work in recent years with Rdb's ODBC driver - that would be one thing I'd look at updating, if it's at all possible on your version.

I also like Hoff's idea of quotas raising their head and biting you...

Brad McCusker
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International