108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OPA0: output on OpenVMS MP(iLO) Blade connection

SOLVED
Go to solution
charlie watkins
Occasional Advisor

OPA0: output on OpenVMS MP(iLO) Blade connection

We have two BL870c's in a cluster. When connecting to either OPA0: via the MP console we dont' get any operator messages.

We are using the same definition for OPC$OPA0_CLASSES and OPC$LOGFILE_CLASSES that we have always used on our Alpha systems.

When I try to do a REPLY/ENABLE or REPLY/STATUS on OPA0: there is no response. I can enable an operator's terminal with these commands from SSH connections direcly to the servers.

Can anyone help me get my OPAO: to act like OPA0:?
6 REPLIES 6
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Start with the DCL commands...

SET TERMINAL /BROADCAST

and

SET BROADCAST=OPCOM

and see if either (or both) help here.

I'm traditionally very skeptical around having OPCOMs going to OPA0: by default. That tends not to end well for various environments. Temporary for the running process and where appropriate, yes. But I don't tend to leave it enabled permanently on OPA0: device.
charlie watkins
Occasional Advisor

So, THAT take me right back down to basics. I can't believe I spaced that out, tho' it's been about 5 years since I last installed a band new system. Anyway, thanks.
charlie watkins
Occasional Advisor

Hoff,

Can you eloborate on your doubts about having the OPCOM default to OPA0:, please?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Why? Ok...

Because I don't like exposing the contents of OPCOM traffic to random folks wandering past the console (obviously less of an issue with iLO or iLO 2), because I prefer to avoid obscuring the occasional system-critical messages, and because I don't like having OPCOM blasting my train of thought when I'm working on the console, and because I wish to avoid cases where (as has happened with various consoles in my experience) a blizzard of OPCOM chatter either plugs up the console buffers, or renders the console unusable, or causes the console device to toss an XOFF at OPA0:. In no particular order.

My general preference is to have the OPCOM traffic heading to the local syslogd server for the environment, but that's not default behavior on OpenVMS with TCP/IP Services. Various OpenVMS installations haven't embraced syslog/syslogd or such, for that matter.
charlie watkins
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your comments and your help.
charlie watkins
Occasional Advisor

Charlie out.