cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPA0: outputs data, but dead to input

SG Smith
Occasional Contributor

OPA0: outputs data, but dead to input

We've got a cluster of ES47s, all using Consoleworks for console mgt. One of the ES47s is not accepting a RETURN to get a login prompt. However, data is being received by Consoleworks on the port. We've checked the port settings on the DS700, and working consoles are configured the same as the "dead" console. Ditto for SYSGEN TTY parameters, they look the same between servers. Show term opa0: looks to be the same between nodes.

Disabling Consoleworks and telneting to the terminal server / port has the same symptoms, pressing the enter key echos a carriage return/line feed.

Suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: OPA0: outputs data, but dead to input

hi,

used to use build eeprom on our gs80's if they got stuck like this, but your console is very different so don't know that it would be valid or available.

fwiw

cnb
Honored Contributor

Were any of the console components 'hot-swapped' by chance?

Rgds,
SG Smith
Occasional Contributor

No, nothing has been swapped. The servers have been in place for close to a year. Firmware was updated during initial installation to 7.3a (which is still current). The ES47s have been booted for application software installations. I'm beginning to thing that a power cycle might be a good thing!
Hoff
Honored Contributor

For giggles, try aiming the following command sequence at the recalcitrant console device:

SET PROCESS /PRIVILEGE=SHARE
SET TERMINAL /XON OPA0:

And see if it clears the weirdness.
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

I don't see any suggestions of changing cables here on the console port - that would be my first action. I've seen null modem cables fail with one or other direction failing to communication (i.e. can get output from OPA0: but can't supply input or vice versa).

That plus Hoff's comments "should" get things moving or will, at least, give more diagnostics.

Have you checked the console connection on the box? IIRC, the ports on the ES47 are buried on the top of the system such that you have to pull it out of the rack to get to the connections. Whoever designed these boxes had some interesting ideas (though probably justified.)
SG Smith
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all for suggestions. We had an application software install that "requires" a reboot, which was the concern. Trying the /xon didn't seem to help. It was decided to power cycle the 2P drawer, and after that, OPA0: started working bi-directionaly.