108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OVMS 7.2.1 cluster with RA3000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

I found some interesting document regarding this the cabling of the RA3000.

So I guess I could just connect Node 1 and 2 of the cluster to the controller host 0 and 1 in, as outlined on page 8. With the Adpaters terminating the ends of the scsi chain.

I am a bit confused why our current cluster uses a Scsi Y-cable to interconnect each node. Apart from moving the nodes in the middle of the SCSI chain, what is the advantage?

What is the difference on page 9?
Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

Think I got all the answers about RA3000 Scsi cabling from a document I found on the net "Trucluster hardware configuraton technical update for RA3000". It shows several ways of possible scsi cabling and explains them. I have attached it if someone's interested. Too bad I did not have this info earlier.
Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

Unfortunatly I don't have a BN21W-0B Y-scsi adapter cable, so I use termination at the KZPBA adapters and have node 1 connected to controller host 0 in, node 2 to controller host 1 out, and a cable between controller host 0 out to host 1 in. I was able to use The StorageWorks software v1.1 and created 3 virtual RAID-1 disks.

The KZPBA adapters are listed as Qlogic ISP pka0 in "sho config" and I set pka0_host_id on node 1 to 7 and node 2 to 6, in order to avoid a scsi conflict. On each of the alpha's SRM console I can see the devices listed as dka0, dka1 and dka2.

Problem: At the beginning of the OVMS installation it asks for target disk and entering ? shows available disks. It shows dka0 status online. But, when I choose dka0 it reports "medium is offline" when trying to mount. I works fine on node 1, but fails on node 2. What am I missing here?

Another issue: I would like to enter the KZPBA bios to verify its settings. I enter "run bios pka0" and it starts the bios Utility, but the keyboard does not work to select an option or to move the cursor. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

Today I decided to try a different cabling approach. I found two H8861AA tri-link adapters and they match to the adapter cable coming from each KZPBA controller. From there I connected each node to controller host 1 and 2, and use another wire to link the two nodes together. Is there a difference between a tri-link adapter and Y-cable? Obviously there is because I don't see any disks anymore?!

While removing the termination resistors on the KZPBA cards I noticed that one of them had 1 of the 8 resistors missing. Could this be the reason for the failing of the HD mounting on that node when using the RA3000 in mid-bus configuration?

Anyone there? Thanks,
Markus

cnb
Honored Contributor

Markus,

Do you have the KZPBA-CB User Guide?

http://vt100.net/mirror/mds-199909/cd3/storage/kzpbcugc.pdf

It should answer most of your termination and adapter questions.

You'll need to run eeromcfg to check/set the adapter's settings and starting the utility depends upon your console set-up configuration.

hth,

Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks. According to this the tri-link and Y-cable, both are used to put a device or controller in the middle of the bus, but only the y-cable add the term "host adapter" to it. So I don't understand, if I can use the tri-link connector to put a controller in the middle, why not a host adapter?

I was hoping to find another card which has all termination resistors, but I found only KZPBA-CY, which does not use them. From what I can gather the KZPBA-CY is differential scsi too, but obviously different. Can the KZPBA-CY be used to replace a KZPBA-CB. How is termination controlled on the CY?
Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

The KZPBA-CB comes with a configration utility floppy "eeromcfg.exe" which can be run from the ARC console. I'm missing the floppy disk. I cannot find a download. Someone has a copy?
cnb
Honored Contributor

Markus,

As long as the termination is configured and cabled correctly, you should be able to use these controllers in the middle of the chain. I've always seen these with the Y cables in this configuration though.

Correct cabling and termination are paramount!

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/raidstorage/EK-SMCPO-UG-C01.pdf

FYI:

According to an old Cybrary disk I found, there appears to be several KZPBA controller versions:

KZPBA-CA PCI to UltraSCSI SE
KZPBA-CB/CC PCI to UltraSCSI Differential
(the -CC was reworked for 3.3v).
PCI TO SCSI (FAST20 DIFFERENTIAL) Adapter KZPBA-CY 401922-001
PCI TO ULTRASCSI Adapter, Single Chnl, FWSE KZPBA-CX
PCI to UltraSCSI Adapter, Dual Channel,UWD KZPBA-DY
PCI to SCSI Adapter, FWSE KZPBA-BA
PCI to SCSI Adapter,FWD KZPBA-BB

FWIW:

The CA/CX and CB/CY get mixed up all the time so make sure you have the correct KZPBA controller for your configuration and termination.

The -CX and -CY are part of the -CA and -CB *kits* respectively.

If I remember correctly, the CB/CY have the terminator sockets whereas the CA/CX do not.

hth,

cnb
Honored Contributor

Markus,

It is on the Alpha Firmware CD.

or here:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/other/utility/

hth,

Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot! I downloaded the utility - now I have to find a floppy disk ;-)

Looking closer at the card I see now that the one I found is indeed KZPBA-CX (not CY). I'm afraid now that this card could not be used, or?