Did you mean: 

OVMS 7.2.1 cluster with RA3000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

OVMS 7.2.1 cluster with RA3000

Hi,

I'm going to receive some hardware soon and need to setup a 2-node OpenVMS cluster using OVMS 7.2.1.

The hardware will be 2 DS20E with 3X-KZPDC and 6-slot drive cage. The cluster storage will be KZPBA differential SCSI in each Alpha and Storage Works RA3000 with dual HSZ22 controllers. For Cluster Interconnect I'm going to use CCMAB memory channel.

I'm not a beginner, but unfortunately I have not done this for a long time and don't remember a lot of details anymore. I will have to setup everything from scratch including the cabling.

If I remember correctly I will use cluster_config, which also creates a local modparams.dat in each system root. I should set alloclass=1, votes=1. The location for "sysdump.dmp" is defined at the srm console, which I can direct to a local drive. I should not forget to remove the termination resistors on each HSZ22. What about alloclass and device naming on the RA3000 console?

Do you have some more tips to setup the system?

I have installed a PC with RA3000 SW 2.1 and will use serial connections and Windows GUI to configure the storage. I have found a good document "Storage Works RA3000 for OpenVMS SCSI Clusters Application Note", Version 1.0, on the CD, but many pages of the document (cluster.pdf) are truncated, in particular the tables.

Does anyone have a better version of this document?

Best Regards,
Markus
46 REPLIES 46
marsh_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: OVMS 7.2.1 cluster with RA3000

hi,

no docs, but wondering why v7.2-1, this is an old version now out of support, v7.3-2 or higher are currently supported.

fwiw

Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

We use a special application, which is 14 years old, and according to the vendor 7.3 has not been tested - users reported problems. 7.2 is supposed to work fine. Unfortunately I do not have enough time left to give it a try. Maybe I will do that on a test system later.

Memory Channel:

I have reviewed some more documentation meanwhile and I need to set jumpers on each of the memory channel cards in the system accordingly. J1 - Hub mode, node 0 jumper 2-3, node 1 no jumper. I will use BN39B-10 cable to connect the two cards. J3 needs to be on pin 1-2 for OVMS. Once I installed and connected the cards I can run "mc_diag" and "mc_cable" on each system srm console to verify the installation.

Question: J5 Alphaserver 8x00 mode - should I set this on DS20E?
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

AFAIK that is set off by default, i have never changed it for es45's when i have used memory channel in the past.

fwiw

cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Markus,

J5:

J5 - AlphaServer 8X00 Mode
Increases the maximum sustainable bandwidth of 8X00 platforms by 10MB/s. If this jumper is inadvertently set in any other platform, the maximum sustainable
bandwidth will decrease by 10MB/s. This jumper may be overridden by the Module Configuration Register (MODCFG) in case it is not installed properly.

hth,
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Hi Markus,

I have a collection of RA3000 stuff on our public server.

http://ftp.vsm.com.au/ra3000/
or
ftp://ftp.vsm.com.au/ra3000/

The OpenVMS clustering documentation has notes on setting port-specfic allocation classes for shared SCSI storage.
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/6318/6318pro.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731final/4477/4477pro.html (esp. Chapter 6)

Regards,
Jeremy Begg