108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OVO agent for OpenVMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

OVO agent for OpenVMS

I have heard there is (or will be shortly) an HP OpenView Operations Agent for OpenVMS. Does anyone have any details?

Thanks,
Marty
9 REPLIES 9
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

try this
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/openvms_ovo_agent/index.html

Thanks! Just what I was looking for!

Marty
Amit Levin_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Martin, I recently installed such an agent on VMS 7.3-2
what details do you need?
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Amit,

I just needed the specs. Since I'm running v7.2 on a VAX, I need to upgrade to an Alpha.

Marty
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi Marty,

what kept you on that VAX for all the time? I do assume there have been good reasons and the migration does involve some serious amount of work. Going from there, do you want to migrate to Alpha now, or might it be better to migrate to Itanium immediatly? This obviously depends on the details of your environment, but I think you might want to consider this a least, since there might be an opportunity to leapfrog one migration here.

Greetings, Martin

Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Martin,

We are running two third party applications on our VAX. We looked into migrating to Alpha several years ago. When we approached the vendor about the migration, they wanted $1,000,000.00 (Yes, that's one million dollars) to migrate their code.

So we are still on a VAX.

The vendor has now approached us as they want to get rid of their VAXes. We are now their only customer running on VAXes. Negotiations are now in progress. Hence, my post about the OVO agent.

Marty
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi Marty,

well, I do hope for you that they have an incentive now to provide the migration at a lower cost for you. But just as a rough estimate, at 3000 $ a day per person, the 10^6 $ are about 333 person days. Depending on the complexitiy of the application, the amount of qualification and the number for customers sharing the same codebase this is not totally off the scale.

Greetings, Martin
Jonas Thorin

AppMind cower all platforms from VAX, Alpha to Itanium. Please feel free to take a look at,

http://www.appmind.com/under.asp?menu=1&sub_menu=2

Regards
Jonas Thorin
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Martin,

I've seen most of the source code. It is a combination of Basic and Cobol. There is nothing fancy in the code. A simple compile and link should convert it. We would be doing almost all of the testing, not the vendor.

Over the years, we had them customize their code to fit our needs. Consequently, our version of their software is unique (i.e. no other customer runs this code).

We pay dearly for this privilege. Our maintenance contract with this vendor (for their two applications only) is more than the software *AND* hardware maintenance for our 200+ unix servers.

They are well paid for their support and billing us for $1,000,000.00 more for the convserion is considered excessive by my management. I tend to agree.

Marty