New Discussion

Re: Open VMS BASIC programming Doubt

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Does "Secure subsystem" mean the following:

* Define an identifier (named after the application), with attribute RESOURCE
* Make that identifier OWNER of the files of the application
* Set these files O:RWED, or (better) craete an ACE to the file that allows DELETE for this identifier
* Grant the identifier to the user that needs ro handle the file (that is: DELETE access for RENAME)

If so, I learned something. If not, take it in consideration.

Aopart from that: The program should be aletered to handle conditions the RIGHT way. A foreseeable condition like this should NEVER blow the image.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

I think I agree with John G. This is a bad case of re-inventing a wheel.

If the user doesn't have privilege to do X but you want that user to have the privilege when running Y but you don't want that user to have the privilege when running Z...

This sounds like a confused security design. You want to have your cake and eat it too. In essence, this design GUARANTEES job security because no one will ever figure out what you did. (Oops - may have answered my own question of WHY BOTHER...)

Seriously, either the user can or cannot delete a given file. It is either fish or fowl, no middle ground. So... what would be the value added to such a situation?

Logging? Put an Audit ACL on the directory or write logging code for every action of a certain class to occur in your menu system.

Extra security checks? OK, I could see that - but why? In the final answer is still going to be "can delete" or "can't delete." What is the REAL purpose here? If you tell us what you REALLY wanted, we might be able to help you rethink the problem in a clearer light.
Sr. Systems Janitor