6075 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Open VMS cluster issue

Shehan
Super Advisor

Open VMS cluster issue

Hi All

I have configure two DS10 nodes cluster with one BA356 shelf.I have configured quorum dis in the storage. Cluster is seems to be working and "show cluster" command show both members. Also when I shutdown one node, it says brknode. But the problem is when I perform @sys$system:shutdown command to do a cluster shutdown, node which I issued the this command is hang while it is shutting down.

Anybody have idea about this ?

Regards
Nirukshitha
14 REPLIES 14
Peter_364
Advisor

Re: Open VMS cluster issue

Hi,

What do you mean, if you perform a cluster shutdown, does the other node hang or do you mean that the shutdown-node hangs? In the later case is he waiting for the other node to reach the same point where they both jump over the cliff, in the earlier case, some cluster parameters is not correctly defined which renders the other node hanging.
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Peter

shutdown-node is hang in the process of shutting down.

Regards
Nirukshitha
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Nirukshitha,

Please check your VOTES-related parameters.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Nirukshitha,

first of all, a CLUSTER shutdown requires, that you issue this command on ALL nodes of the cluster individually.

When you shut down the first of the 2 nodes for a 'cluster' shutdown and 'it hangs', what are the last messages on the console terminal of this node and the other node or on the terminal, on which you have invoked the shutdown procedure ?

Volker.
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Volker

See below for last hang point

Shutdown options [NONE]: cluster

%SHUTDOWN-I-OPERATOR, this terminal is now an operator's console
%SHUTDOWN-I-DISLOGINS, interactive logins will now be disabled
%SET-I-INTSET, login interactive limit = 0, current interactive value = 1
%SHUTDOWN-I-STOPQUEUES, the queues on this node will now be stopped

%SHUTDOWN-I-SITESHUT, the site-specific shutdown procedure will now be invoked
%SHUTDOWN-I-STOPUSER, all user processes will now be stopped
%SHUTDOWN-I-STOPACMESRV, the ACME server will now be shut down
%SHUTDOWN-I-STOPAUDIT, the security auditing subsystem will now be shut down
%SHUTDOWN-I-STOPSMISRV, the SMI server will now be shut down
%SHUTDOWN-I-STOPSECSRV, the security server will now be shut down
%SHUTDOWN-I-REMOVE, all installed images will now be removed
%SHUTDOWN-I-DISMOUNT, all volumes will now be dismounted

Also Other node doesn't effect this shutdown. It seems to be sync issue.I have to reboot other node purposely. Otherwise it doesn't reboot from this cluster shutdown

Regards
Nirukshitha
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Nirukshitha,
If you select "Cluster Shutdown" when running shutdown.com, then this is the correct behaviour.

If you choose this option, then you "MUST" shutdown ALL nodes. The cluster nodes will all shutdown to a certain point, and then wait until the remaining nodes reach that point. Then all nodes take the last step together.

If you don't want this behaviour, then shutdown individual nodes normally, specifying "Remove Node". This will cause the remaining nodes to adjust their quorum so that they remain functional (assuming that VOTES and EXPECTED_VOTES are correctly set)

Dave.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Nirukshitha,

Please allow me to clarify my previous posting.

Please check all VOTES-related parameters. This includes VOTES, QUORUM, and the parameters relating to the location of the quorum disk.

Incorrect settings of these parameters can lead to situations similar to those that are described in this post.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Nirukshitha,

Dave is right. You need to issue the 'CLUSTER' shutdown command on ALL nodes of a cluster.

If there would be a problem with VOTES etc., the OTHER node would hang, if you shut down this one AND you'll see approriate messages on the console terminal.

Volker.
Peter_364
Advisor

Yes, it's what I meant by claiming that the node is waiting on the other node to reach the same point.
Perform a cluster shutdown on both nodes, and the first node that reach end-point wait for the other to reach the same point and they will together enter the console.