3624 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS 7.2-1 not working on hub

wong seng guan
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS 7.2-1 not working on hub

Guru,

Im using OpenVMS 7.2-1 for my server and tcpware 5.6-2 for the server doing redundant link, mean each server has 2 NIC port to connect 2 different hubs.

Can the server do fail over if i connect them to switch? because my former engineer told me why they purchased hub instead of switch because Openvms 7.2-1 with tcpware 5.6-2 only can work on hub not switch.

is that true?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Wong,

Is TCPware the only network application on the systems? Are the systems configured as an OpenVMS cluster? Are they also running DECnet?

There have been some warnings over the years about ensuring that switches function properly with respect to broadcast traffic. Other than the requirements that they function correctly, and are of course configured correctly, I do not recall any generic limitations on the use of switches.

More information is always useful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hoff
Honored Contributor

My first thought on reading this was "A hub? Whoa? You can still get those?"

Unmanaged and managed switches work just fine with TCP/IP Services, and I expect that such devices would also work fine with the Process TCPware IP stack.

The Process engineers are a bright bunch, and I'd be really surprised if they weren't already centrally dependent on switches within their own development and testing environments at Process, and familiar with the network environments in use at most customers.

(If you want a more official response, you might want to ask this question over at the Process.com site, since that's where more of the Process folks tend to lurk.)

If there were issues with switches and hubs in the past, I'd be looking for an IP network configuration error. There are certainly requirements around using and configuring IP and the default gateway that might not be intuitively obvious, but all of IP works within these.

In addition to the prevalence of switches in most every network environment, it can be common to implement fail-over handling and load balancing entirely within one or more managed Layer 2+ switches.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LCC

wong seng guan
Frequent Advisor

Robert Gezelter,

Thanks for our replying and there is only TCPware for the network application and we do a clustering between 2 servers and using DECnet for heartbeat.

Hoff,

Thanks for your replying and I already sent an email to process.com.