108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS 7.3-2 SYSUAF Changes

SOLVED
Go to solution
VMS Support
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS 7.3-2 SYSUAF Changes

I have been told that changes have been made to the format of SYSUAF between 7.2-1H1 and 7.3-2.
I have built a new cluster (7.3-2) and copied the SYSUAF and RIGHTLIST from our current 7.2-1H1 cluster. This has been running for a couple of months like this with no UAF or Rightlist issues. Accounts have been added/deleted/modified. I have since been told that maybe this was not a good idea, due to changes in UAF in 7.3-2.
The idea was that when our 7.3-2 server goes live we take a snapshot of the UAF on current live (7.2-1H1). everyone has the same Username/password on Monday (New live) that they were using on Friday (Old live).
9 REPLIES 9
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS 7.3-2 SYSUAF Changes

Hi

we are using over 100 OpenVMS Servers and aprox. 700 Workstations. We built most of the Systemdisks a long time ago (5-10 Years) and we did updates until today (OpenVMS 7.3-2).

We never recognized a problem with sysuaf and rightslist.

Regards

Heinz
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

What is the source of "been told" ?

Release notes ? Inst&Upgrade manual ?

I don't belief it, since I am (was) running a mixed cluster of Alphas and Vaxen since VMS 6.1 with a common SYSUAF created under 6.* .
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

There are optional additional fields such as posix GID/UID. As these are optional then there is no problem copying a UAF from an older version of VMS.

Oh, even VMS/VAX 5.* and VMS/AXP 1.5 was already clustered, and SYSUAF is
Directory SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]
SYSUAF.DAT;6 29-NOV-1992

This was before Alphas were available.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Can - whoever said this - substantiate this with references to OpenVMS release notes or new feature manuals ?

The $UAFDEF module, which defines the record structure of the SYSUAF file, did not change for quite some time. I just compared an OpenVMS VAX V6.2 $UAFDEF with an OpenVMS I64 V8.2 $UAFDEF - just 6 new bits defined for lowercase passwords and similar.

Try for yourself using $ SEARCH SYS$LIBRARY:LIB.REQ UAF$
and compare the results from your V7.2-1H1 and V7.3-2 system disks.

The same should be true for RIGHTSLIST.DAT

There are various possible strategies for copying/merging SYSUAF and RIGHTLIST files.

You should compare your current RIGHTSLIST files between the 2 systems and make sure, that the same identifiers map to the same UICs/numbers on both systems.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

The format of the SYSUAF.DAT, RIGHTSLIST, and
associated files are upward-compatible, and compatible across OpenVMS VAX, OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64 systems. (This compatibility is a a basic requirement of mixed-version OpenVMS Cluster configurations).

Wim
Wim
VMS Support
Frequent Advisor

Does that mean we cant use these fields (GID/UID) now that I'm using a V7.2-1H1 UAF ?

Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

AFAIK the internal structure of SYSUAF hasn't changed between V7.2-1 and V7.3-2.
There were some issues with the $GETUAI and $SETUAI system services when going from V6.1 to V6.2 (items that could be read but could not be set).
Hope this helps.
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
VMS Support
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for your responses. As we can see that the definitions haven't changed we are happy that this will be fully supported.