108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS 8.3 DECwindows setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS 8.3 DECwindows setup

I had an Integrity BL860c server blade sent to me running OpenVMS 8.3. I'm not a OpenVMS user, and I was hoping someone could tell me how to configure the DECwindows system, or point me to the correct documentaion for it. I have verified that all packages needed to run it were installed, but haven't been able to get the windows system working.

Thanks,
25 REPLIES 25
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

I know that it's not much help, but "it should be set up automatically".

What does
$ show logical decw*
display?
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

The BL860c has no graphics device, so I think it needs to be setup to display on a remote device.
Here's the output.

$ show logical decw*

(LNM$PROCESS_TABLE)

(LNM$JOB_82DA3800)

(LNM$GROUP_000001)

(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

"DECW$LOGINOUT" = "CDE$SYSTEM_DEFAULTS:[BIN]DECW$LOGINOUT"
"DECW$SECURITY" = "SYS$SHARE:DECW$SECURITY_VMS.EXE"
"DECW$SESSIONCOM" = "sys$manager:decw$startsm.com"
"DECW$SESSIONINIT" = "run sys$system:decw$wsinit"
"DECW$SESSIONMAIN" = "run sys$system:decw$session"

(LNM$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE)

(DECW$LOGICAL_NAMES)

"DECW$BITMAPS" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$INCLUDE.BITMAPS]"
"DECW$BOOK" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$BOOK]"
"DECW$CBI" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSCBI.DECW$CBI]"
"DECW$CONSOLE_SELECTION" = "NONE"
"DECW$EXAMPLES" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.DECW]"
"DECW$INCLUDE" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$INCLUDE]"
= "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$INCLUDE.EXTENSIONS]"
= "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$INCLUDE.ICE]"
= "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$INCLUDE.SM]"
"DECW$KEYMAP" = "DECW$SYSCOMMON:[SYS$KEYMAP.DECW.USER]"
= "DECW$SYSCOMMON:[SYS$KEYMAP.DECW.SYSTEM]"
"DECW$SNAPSHOT_SECURITY" = "TRUE"
"DECW$SYSCOMMON" = "SYS$SYSROOT"
"DECW$SYSTEM_DEFAULTS" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$DEFAULTS.USER]"
= "SYS$SYSROOT:[DECW$DEFAULTS.SYSTEM]"
= "SYS$LIBRARY:"
"DECW$USER_DEFAULTS" = "SYS$LOGIN:"
"DECW$USE_XM_VENDOR_SHELL" = "NOTES$MAIN"
"DECW$UTILS" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.DECW.UTILS]"
"DECW$XLIBERRDB" = "SYS$MESSAGE:DECW$XLIBERRDB.DAT"
$
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Those logicals show that the setup ran.

Yes, it needs to display on a remote device, so it depends upon how the user's session is set up.

Does the connection happen over Telnet, DECnet, SSH, LAT, or what?
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Wade,
The "HP OpenVMS Version 8.3 Upgrade and Installation Manual" is highly detailed. See: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/ba322_90045/index.html

I recommend you read through it once. Then repeat with a highlighter to mark your path and go through the check lists (there are numerous options), then work your way through it with the system.

That should get you through to a working system.
A crucible of informative mistakes
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

The user session is either by telnet or the remote serial console.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Here's an intro to using ssh with a Mac OS X client, and that shows one approach and its set-up:

http://64.223.189.234/node/134

There's a section on DECwindows troubleshooting in the OpenVMS FAQ that's available here:

http://64.223.189.234/node/1

I'd suggest either the text for PDF version here. (HTML is nice to look at, but very difficult to search.)

In particular, you need have SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM configured to load the TCPIP transport. (This should be mentioned in both places.) This assumes you have TCP/IP Services or some other IP stack configured.

Once you have this startup set up (and have restarted DECwindows), you'll use the implicit DECW$DISPLAY set up for you by the ssh command shown, or that you have manually registered with the SET DISPLAY/TRANSPORT=TCPIP/NODE command.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hi,

welcome to the OpenVMS ITRC forum.

If your OpenVMS system does not have a graphics device, you need a X-server running on some other node and need to direct your X-display to that other node.

If you've logged in via TELNET or the remote console, you can set your display with:

$ SET DISP/CREATE/NODE=/trans=TCPIP

For testing, first run $ MC DECW$CLOCK or $ RUN DECW$EXAMPLES:ICO. ICO provides more detailled error messages, if the connection fails.

Volker.
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

I appreciate the help you guys are giving me.
Please bare with me, but this is the 1st time I've ever seen an OpenVMS system, which is why I'm trying to get the Windows display.
I realize you may not have the time, but can someone provide me the commands syntax to modify the setup.com file to load the TCPIP transport.
Then I think I may be somewhere with what Halle just provided. One can hope anyway.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wade,

if your VMS system is the X-client, you don't need to have the TCPIP transport loaded in DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM (I did test that yesterday).

If you have a working X-server, consider to try the SET DISPL/CREATE/NODE=/TRANS=TCPIP and RUN DECW$EXAMPLES:ICO.

If it works - fine, otherwise tell us the error message. Try a TCPIP PING first to make sure, that you have a valid route for TCPIP traffic.

Volker.