New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS 8.3 DECwindows setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

There are NO LAN devices configured !

Whoever sent you this BL860c system did not bother to check, whether the LAN hardware is supported by the current version of OpenVMS I64 !

I suggest that you contact your hardware supplier and make sure, that you get a correctly configured system including the correct LAN interfaces and OpenVMS I64 version.

If you're running V8.3 and not V8.3-1H1, you may need an additional LAN patch kit to support the LAN interfaces built into this machine !

Volker.
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

This BL860 came directly from HP engineering after they had it configured in manufacturing.
It's running version 8.3
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Please forward my regards to OpenVMS engineering, but you've obviously received a system, which does not work or you're missing instructions on how to get it to work.

Full Blade BL860c support is in V8.3-1H1, there were a couple of patches for V8.3 released in JUN-2007 for initial BL860c support. Do you have those patches installed ($ PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY) ?

Volker.
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

If you're talking about Kit Name: HP-I64VMS-VMS83I_LAN-V0700--4.PCSI$COMPRESSED which i just went out & found, and am Now trying to get on the machine and install, it doesn't look like it.

$ PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY
------------------------------------ -----------
PRODUCT KIT TYPE
HP I64VMS AVAIL_MAN_BASE V8.3 Full LP
HP I64VMS CDSA V2.2-272 Full LP
HP I64VMS DWMOTIF V1.6 Full LP
HP I64VMS DWMOTIF_SUPPORT V8.3 Full LP
HP I64VMS KERBEROS V3.0-106 Full LP
HP I64VMS OPENVMS V8.3 Platform
HP I64VMS SSL V1.3-284 Full LP
HP I64VMS TCPIP V5.6-9 Full LP
HP I64VMS TDC_RT V2.2-107 Full LP
HP I64VMS VMS V8.3 Oper System
HP I64VMS WBEMCIM V2.0-A051013F Full LP
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Someone sent you this machine WITHOUT the necessary patches installed. It won't work on a BL860c - as you've seen.

You need to install a couple of patches on that machine first, BEFORE it is able to recognize the LAN adapters. You will have a hard time getting those patches to this machine WITHOUT a working LAN interface !!!

It may be easier to try to get a V8.3-1H1 DVD and re-install OpenVMS.

The list of patches you need can be found here:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/cclass_support.html

Volker.
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your help.
I will contact the engineer that sent me this blade.
This isn't the 1st time I've gotten equipment from them that needed all kinds of stuff installed, which was supposed to have been there.

I may be back in a few days asking questions, but for now, you've been a tremendous help.

Thank you.