1752758 Members
4631 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS 8.3 Media kit availability?

F. Boucher
Occasional Advisor

OpenVMS 8.3 Media kit availability?

Hi!, I am the manager that registered our university (Universite du Quebec a Montreal) under the OpenVMS edu program.
We can legally get the licenses to run VMS as educationnal purposes and associated layered products, under all harware platforms. However, we cannot get hold of the software that these licenses would permit us to use.

More, we have hardware support for VAX hardware still in use for the administration.

We did purchase recently two integrity servers on which we would like to install OpenVMS, latest version (8.3-1H1 for I64), for educationnal purposes.

Our problem is on how do our university can get hold of the installation media kit of OpenVMS for Itanium, and associated layered products? We already tried Montagar software but they do not intend to produce I64 hobbyhist kits.

Thanks,

Francois

Below is the acceptation of the university to the Educational program. The School ID has been removed as asked.

Welcome to the OpenVMS Educational License Program. This program allows you and your institution to register free OpenVMS Base O/S Licenses and over 100 OpenVMS Layered
products in accordance with the Compaq License Terms and Conditions.

The following School Identification can be distributed to any student, faculty, or other eligible individual at your institution per your institutions policies. It is our intent that this number be used only by your school. Please do not publish your
School Identification number in an electronic or public forum. Local campus or campus-wide E-Mail lists are permitted.

School Identification: xxxxxx-xxxx

Individuals needing licenses can go to the OpenVMS Educational License site (http://www.openvmsedu.com) and select
the "Request Licenses" link. This School Identification will enable the requestor to have the requested license PAK's sent to
the via E-Mail (the address MUST be part of the Internet domain identified with UQAM.CA).

All license PAK's registered with this School Identification
will expire on 2009-10-01.

- Support@openvmsedu.com
7 REPLIES 7
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS 8.3 Media kit availability?

Francois,

the FAQ talks about OpenVMS media:

14. How often are the CD-ROM binaries updated?
HP will provide an annual update with the latest copy of the most popular products. If you would like the consolidated distribution on the current yearly basis, please see the CSLG Program.

Unfortunately, the CSLG link on that page does not work ;-(

The HP Campus program offers the CD-ROM Distribution Service (CDDS) service under order number QA-MDZAA-H8.

I'll try to contact HP about this, but you may have to be patient over the upcoming holidays...

Volker.
F. Boucher
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Volker, and thanks for your prompt reply!
We are already subscribed to the CSLG service, and your answer gives us a good starting point (especially the part number at HP) to help us put our hands onto the media kit. I will forward your answer to the person managing our CSLG contrat at HP.

I fully understand that everybody is soon to benefit from the holidays, and I take the occasion to wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year!

Francois
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Bonjour Francois,

As Volker has intimated, and what I suggest is to contact your "local" HP sales manager and they will follow it up. It has been my experience, working at an educational institute here in the antipodes, that they can get you what you require.

A tout a l'heure,
Mark.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Francois,

the order number for the OpenVMS I64 MCOE (Mission-Critical Openrating Environment) DVD media itself seems to be:

BA324AA A57 Version I64 8.3-1H1

Volker.
F. Boucher
Occasional Advisor

Just to do a little follow-up,
We did contact our HP representatives, but it seems they are not aware of the existence of the HP Campus program, so they ask internally (in HP corporate) how to proceed with the client's request.

As you can see, this thread started in december, and by the end of january, unfortunately, our matter is not resolved.

What we would need is a how to proceed to order the media kits, or to have the access to the Software Update Manager of the ITRC website.

Thanks to all,

Francois
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd ask for an escalation here and/or for a discussion with the local OpenVMS ambassador. It would seem reasonable to expect an organization stuck in this particular deadlock and this particular delay state would be unhappy, and would likely be considering ports off of the OpenVMS platform, too.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Francois,

I forwarded a pointer to this entry and your contact information to an OpenVMS Ambassador in Canada. He is going to contact you...

Volker.