Operating System - OpenVMS
1748280 Members
3991 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

OpenVMS 8.3 TCPIP v5.6-9 The getaddrinfo socket api function not always filling scope id for IPv6

Nigel Meachen

OpenVMS 8.3 TCPIP v5.6-9 The getaddrinfo socket api function not always filling scope id for IPv6

I am trying to update an existing socket-based C++ application to be address family independent for IPv6 support using getaddrinfo. However, if I try to lookup a numeric IPv6 address containing a scope reference (fe80::217:8ff:fe7c:6bc0%IE0) on a multi-homed machine it does not populate the sin6_scope_id member of the sockaddr_in6 structure returned in addrinfo when I use the address family hint AF_UNSPEC, but it does if I use AF_INET6.

A Linux implementation always fills in the sin6_scope_id for AF_INET6 responses regardless of whether I specified AF_UNSPEC or AF_INET6.

Anyone know if this is something that has been addressed in an ECO? I didn't find anything that talked about scope ids in IPv6 addresses.
1 REPLY 1
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS 8.3 TCPIP v5.6-9 The getaddrinfo socket api function not always filling scope id for IPv6

Nigel,

Sounds like this issue is amenable to a very simple reproducer program? I'd build one, show & document the differences you're seeing between operating systems, then log a case with your local customer support centre.
A crucible of informative mistakes