4595 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS Clustering

Sumant M Kumar
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS Clustering

Hi,

While removing node from the existing cluster system asking for root node name.Can anyone help me to get this i meant to say where i can find the system root node name.

"Enter the root name of the node you are removing. This name has the form SYSxxxx, where xxxx is a hexadecimal number between 0 and FFFF.

Regards,
Sumant

5 REPLIES 5
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS Clustering

On the node in question, do
SHOW LOG SYS$SPECIFIC
This show the nodes specific system root.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

or even shorter

$ show logical sys$topsys
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Sumant,

--- but if the node is already down and cannot be rebooted just for this, do

$ search sys$sysdevice:[sys*.sysexe]*sysparams.par

The sys* of which the .PAR file has that node name is the system root of that system.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Sumant,

When removing nodes, extreme caution is recommended.

The cost of having an extra system root is limited to the disk space consumed by the files associated with that root.

I have had instances where sites were not completely aware of what was stored in the SYS$SPECIFIC directory tree associated with a particular system root, and lost important material as a result.

This most commonly happened when the node to be deactivated had been assigned some infrequently used function, and the relevant function was therefore unusable until the data had been recovered.

If you must delete the files, I STRONGLY recommend thorough backups of that directory tree onto multiple backup media before deleting the files.

Backups are relatively inexpensive, lost information is priceless.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Sumant,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 0 of 73 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before please do not take offence none is intended!

PPS. Zero points for THIS entry, please.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.