3026 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Console Count with lowercase y with umlaut

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin T. Fairbanks

Sorry, yes it is counting down. This happens on each boot, so I would not think it is line noise. If it were line noise, wouldn't it happen randomly? The terminal is setup correctly as far as communication settings, baud, stop bits, etc.

The system runs fine, with no loss of time or any other resources. We have been having hardware failures on other parts of the system, such as an AUI and a serial card. Knowing that 30 is memory helps. What does DZ stand for at #29? Thanks!
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Kevin,

the DZ-11 is an asynchronous serial line multiplexer. Does your system have one installed ?

Volker.
Kevin T. Fairbanks

No DZ-11 installed.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

There looks to be some sort of a character mismatch between the terminal configuration and the host console and the host console language setting. Since you have no DZ, that's very likely the "No DZ" flag. Since the box counts down to zero, POST passes (and a true failing POST doesn't typically do that) and since there's no DZ and thus there's an informational flag expected here. Ignore it. Better yet, rather than spending cycles here, look to start replacing this decade+ VAX with something a little newer; though this isn't a failure, decade-old gear does fail. Either a spare VAX, a newer spare VAX, or an emulation, or a port to OpenVMS Alpha or OpenVMS I64 (boxes seen circa US$300, plus licenses).

The VAX 4000 model 100A manuals are available, BTW.

http://vt100.net/manx

Look for the VAX 4000 Model 100,100A,105A,106A KA52/53/54 CPU System Maintenance manual, since you're looking at the POST for a VAX 4000 model 100A. I don't immediately see the Option Not Installed option flag for the console POST, but I expect it's listed in one of the manuals.