1753479 Members
5170 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Galaxy

David E. Brown

OpenVMS Galaxy

With the new release of OpenVMS 8.2 on the I64 servers and the 64 bit version of Windows Server 2003 we are interested in seeing what advantage there could be to running them on an I64 Galaxy. More importantly it would be nice to know where the documentation is that describes how to but these two OS's on a Galaxy.
9 REPLIES 9
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

according to http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms82_announce.html
VMS is not yet available on the high end systems.

Not only that - "Galaxy" has nothing to do with Windows Server 2003.

[OpenVMS] Galaxy is about running multiple OpenVMS instances (soft partitions) within a single hard partition. That is possible, because OpenVMS has been taught to honor any setups made in the console subsystem. I am not aware that Windows or Tru64 Unix[*] have this knowledge. Running different operating systems on a "box" requires different hard partitions.

[*] Tru64 Unix runs a single OS instance, but allows 'partitioning' by features like CPU affinity.
David E. Brown

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_6590.html
this is from ask the wizard referencing mixed OS's.

From the wizard->The capability to operate multiple operating systems in hard partitions
is supported and is available.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah, right... OpenVMS and Linux - that was a hack!!
http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=7lg2nh%246rr%241%40nntpd.lkg.dec.com&output=gplain

I beleive the wizard meant to say:
"The capability to operate multiple operating systems in [different] hard partitions is supported and is available."

Otherwise you need to show me a bit more convincing that HP supports _multiple_ different operating systems within a _single_ hard partition. How about an SPD or official documentation?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

the demo of a superdome running four operating systems was a unsupported hack. Currently hp do not support VMS on the superdome.

Galaxy is a soft partitioning technology and I think its specific to VMS.

I don't know if any the limited set of Integrity servers that hp support VMS on can be hard partitioned. I think its a next year sort of thing

Read this
http://www.shannonknowshpc.com/stories.php?story=05/01/18/0435366

several interesting comments from Mark Gorham including
"Mark: From an Integrity perspective, our next key items will be providing support for higher end Integrity servers, expanding cluster support and rolling out more HP and Third Party Integrity based applications. Our plans are to support the larger systems in the 8.3 release scheduled for H1 2006, but we are looking to see if we can support the Pinnacles based Superdome and rx8600 servers, with up to 16 CPUs in a partition, by September of 2005. If we do, this will be an 8.2-based hardware release."

I would like to thank everyone that participated in this post. I will say that I believe I am on the master list of VMS bigits but there is lot of the world living in the Microsoft Active Directory Domain.

Our core business runs on VMS but there are some great presentation tools with Windos. The final answer to the original question is NO, there is no advantage. If you revisit the Wizard link I provided you will see that it has been corrected to better reflect Galaxy and partioning. My Thanks to Dave Brown of HP for his input as well and getting the Wizard response changed. I will close this forum for now.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Readers of the updated wizard entry should note that vPars and nPars comes from HP-UX/PARISC nomenclature.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

you will be able to hard partition a system and run windows and vms on the same big i64 multicpu but not soft partitions like galaxy.