Re: OpenVMS: ITRC BoF at the bootcamp?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Bruno -

Excuse me...Dutch statement. In translation:

"Your Chief Officer should give a presentation on the advantages of such a system. But I doubt he would do it"

Jan works in the IT department of the Metropolitan Police in Amsterdam, and I'm working on the primary proces software used by over 50% of Dutch Police (they're phasing out VMS. But HP doesn't seem to care...)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Willem:
Korpschef maybe would be nice, but it would surprise me if he even heard about VMS (that IS a little bit of our trouble: we have so little trouble that reaches the user community that it is hardly noticed in all the pains that get reported form Unix & MS/Citrix. Even a high PAIN profile IS a high profile!).

But I just learned this afternoon (at the exit-party of the "Chief of Computer Centre") that both he and his successor have already registered for our session, so "the audience can be assured that we will be guarded against exagerations" (said with a biiiiiiig smile). Both of them ARE VMS-knowledgable, but "have given up fighting policies made way up".

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Bruno,
ENSA is for "Enterprise Network Storage Architecture". It's been a multi-year roadmap to bring us things like storage virtualization and management software. It is not really new - it started around 1999/2000.

ENSA@WORK is HP's storage conference - a nice tradition inherited from Compaq.
http://h41093.www4.hp.com/

Apparently, Interex "somehow" found the way to Munich, too:
http://www.hp-interex.org/site/cms/eventsSplashView.asp
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Thanks (again) for explanation.
ENSA = WORK !
I prefer un match together to Big and Good Beer !
Joke ;-))
Regards to All.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

ENSA is supposed to unburden the administrator, not give him more work ;-)

There has always been a nice exhibition, so I interpret "ENSA@WORK" as: you can see ENSA life /working.
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>ENSA@WORK is HP's storage conference - a
>nice tradition inherited from Compaq.
>http://h41093.www4.hp.com/

>Apparently, Interex "somehow" found the way
>to Munich, too:
>http://www.hp-interex.org/site/cms/eventsSplashView.asp

Yes, the traditional Interex and DECUS European events, originally scheduled for Madrid, have merged with ENSA and will be held in Munich. There will be VMS content, much like there has been in past Interex/DECUS events (although I won't be there :().

Back to the origin of this thread - Has anyone contacted to Sue to see if there will be BOFs at the bootcamp?

Brad McCusker
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Brad,

I have not yet written to Sue. I hope to collect everything this weekend (i.e. this thread, Aarons DSN thread here, private comments I received and the comments from the Openvms.org survey) and sent this to here as a coherent request.

My current thinking is that we might have two meetings really. One totally informal "meet and greet" just one evening in the bar as a get together of the people who normally just converse via this forum. No involvement from hp should be required for this ;-)

Else there obviously are still things left to be desired from ITRC in its current incarnation. This is the meeting I will ask Sue for support.

Greetings, Martin
Sue Skonetski
Advisor
Solution

We will be doing a BOF on DSNlink
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Good news from Sue. I hope the plan is still to have two meetings - an informal on in a bar and a parhaps slightly less informal one (could also be in a bar :-) with some hp representation on the subject of DSNlink

Hello Ian,

yes, this is still the plan. But I think we should be able to get the informal bar meeting going without help from hp :-) Obviously whoever from hp wants to join is very welcome to that meeting too.

Greetings, Martin