Did you mean: 

OpenVMS: ITRC BoF at the bootcamp?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

OpenVMS: ITRC BoF at the bootcamp?

Hello,

how is the feeling on this? Last year we did have a BoF on the patch section of ITRC and that was pretty good I think. While the guys from hp had to listen to some not very happy customers ther were also lots of constructive suggestions and I like to think that at least some of the improvements implemented this spring were influenced by the feedback they got there ;-)

So, should we try to have another BoF this year and if yes what should be the topic? Just a feelgood forums meet (easy to organize, just occupy a table in the granite bar ;-) or should we try to address issues like Aaron has voiced them here recently (would obviously require some cooperation from hp)?

Any suggestions?

Martin
39 REPLIES
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS: ITRC BoF at the bootcamp?

Martin,
What's BoF stand for (I'm not US, you know)
But given your explanation, it would indeed be a good idea.
I would say: keep it as informal as possible. A number of topics to talk about - as a guideline - would be helpfull. I agree with Aaron's mischief as a topic, no doubt there are more that have the same feeling. But yes: you need at least some HP cooperation - not only from OpenVMS engineering.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Martin,
as Willem I don't know what means BoF; obviously I can undestand your question.
Is it possible (I already posted this one in past) build an event in Europe?
For example, my city Turin will host winter olympic games on 2006 and here there are a lof recective structure. With HP I offer me to collaborate on this event (I can find better english speaker than me, too)!

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
H_Bachner
Regular Advisor

BoF = Birds of a feather
(informal) gathering of folks sharing a specific interest

Hope this helps,
Hans.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Antonio,
This is something I would agree too as well, as do a lot of my direct collegues! We could bring this to the attention of HP in this kind of gathering ;-)
So the next question to Martin:
do you expect us to specify subjects for such a talk in this thread, or do you plan to host it elsewhere - which would be preferable, I think.
Willem Grooters
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Good idea. I think the issues raised by Aaron and what people think of itrc would be good topics. I hope to be there but its in the hands of the beancounters at present :-(

Hi all,

sorry about the BoF confusion, you will get used to it once you life a while in the US ;-)

While I would not mind to discuss possible topics here you are free to send me mail privatly at zinser@zinser.no-ip.info . I would distribute suggestions to all people contacting me via email and would post a final summary here. I suggest we should try to reach some conclusion by middle of next week, since the request still would need to be discussed with hp.

As for a "bootcamp" in Europe, Sue has made it pretty clear that this particular type of meeting is only possible in Nashuha in very close proximity to ZKO (and I tend to agree with her on this). On the other hand VMS engeneering and the ambassadors are distributed in a worldwide network, so you might be able to lobby for shorter events with your local representatives.

Greetings, Martin
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I do remember the "Patch" BoF of last Bootcamp, and it certainly did do some good.
Regrettably I won't be there this time (I'll be in Muenchen/Munich early May, and there's no budget for 2 such events in one month), but I certainly advise those who are at the bootcamp to set up something like last year!
To the Europeans: I have it from Sue that there will be Technical Update Days in the Netherlands in october. Not as much as a bootcamp, but a nice second-best!.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

It looks like I am going to be there :-)
I think a meeting between any folks seen in this forum who are attending the bootcamp would be A Good Thing. Even better if somebody from hp will be there to listen.

Hi,

I look forward to it (I'm actually going to bootcamp and still, almost, can't believe it).

Could we have a non-ITRC Bof for VMS? Such as Sales and Sales support? Someone, from HP would have to be present to make that work? Just a thought . . .

john
It is better to STQ then LDQ
Mohamed K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

May be the thing that is not as it used to be, the ITRC FTP site.
When it was ftp.support.compaq.com, it was very well organized, and you can see all the patches in one level (folder), now the ftp site ftp.itrc.hp.com has so many folders and the patches are not grouped on the same level.
I know that the main site for ftp'ing the patches is from the www.ITRC.hp.com, but I don't like ftp'ing to a local PC then ftp'ing again to the systems, I just like to access directly from the system itself.

Will this something be considered?

Mohamed
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Martin,
I believe NOT understood !
The suggestions must to be topics of ITRC-Forum ?
Topics of openVMS ?
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Bruno,
Martin posted in VMS but HP moderator moved here (I think because may be interesting for other member too)!

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Bruno,

I do apologize for the moderator who moved this thread here. As Antonio stated, it started out in the OpenVMS forum where it really belongs (Hello hp, please move it back!!!).

The "bootcamp" is a highly technical conference in close proximity to and with very much contents provided by OpenVMS engeneering. You go there if you are highly interested in VMS and already have mastered all the basic and normal advanced stuff ;-) (Besides of some strange guys like me, who go there since the company of the other participants is that nice ;->

So I opened this thread in the OpenVMS forum to discuss if we should have a BoF there and possible things to discuss.

Greetings, Martin
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Thank you Martin and Antoniov for the explanation.
Now i have understood.
The BoF is very interesting, but i am "out" by openVMS and road from Italy to USA is very long.
Ciao
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Bruno:
Muenchen (= Munich) is not THAT far from Italy. Some interesting things at ENSA/Interex as well! :-)

Jan

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Jan,
are you inviting at your "Celebrating" event? Is it the same of the other thread?
I thought it's a private meeting.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

>>(Hello hp, please move it back!!!). ....
So I opened this thread in the OpenVMS forum to discuss if we should have a BoF there and possible things to discuss.>>

Moving thread to OpenVMS as per Martin's request.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

Call it a "celebration" event - but I think it's more a case-study presentation. Hopefully it's attended by decision-makers as well.
Jan's boss would need to tell about it...

(Jan, je korpschef zou een verhandeling moeten houden over het nut van zo'n cluster... Maar dat zal-ie wel niet doen)...
Willem Grooters
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Munich is OK !
But i don't understand 2 things.
1) What is ENSA ?
2) What is "(Jan, je korpschef zou een verhandeling moeten houden over het nut van zo'n cluster... Maar dat zal-ie wel niet doen)... " ?

;-)
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Bruno -

Excuse me...Dutch statement. In translation:

"Your Chief Officer should give a presentation on the advantages of such a system. But I doubt he would do it"

Jan works in the IT department of the Metropolitan Police in Amsterdam, and I'm working on the primary proces software used by over 50% of Dutch Police (they're phasing out VMS. But HP doesn't seem to care...)

Willem
Willem Grooters
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Willem:
Korpschef maybe would be nice, but it would surprise me if he even heard about VMS (that IS a little bit of our trouble: we have so little trouble that reaches the user community that it is hardly noticed in all the pains that get reported form Unix & MS/Citrix. Even a high PAIN profile IS a high profile!).

But I just learned this afternoon (at the exit-party of the "Chief of Computer Centre") that both he and his successor have already registered for our session, so "the audience can be assured that we will be guarded against exagerations" (said with a biiiiiiig smile). Both of them ARE VMS-knowledgable, but "have given up fighting policies made way up".

Jan
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Bruno,
ENSA is for "Enterprise Network Storage Architecture". It's been a multi-year roadmap to bring us things like storage virtualization and management software. It is not really new - it started around 1999/2000.

ENSA@WORK is HP's storage conference - a nice tradition inherited from Compaq.
http://h41093.www4.hp.com/

Apparently, Interex "somehow" found the way to Munich, too:
http://www.hp-interex.org/site/cms/eventsSplashView.asp
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Thanks (again) for explanation.
ENSA = WORK !
I prefer un match together to Big and Good Beer !
Joke ;-))
Regards to All.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

ENSA is supposed to unburden the administrator, not give him more work ;-)

There has always been a nice exhibition, so I interpret "ENSA@WORK" as: you can see ENSA life /working.