1752286 Members
5094 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Itanium CMS upgrade...get ACCVIO after upgrade

Joseph Bettro
Advisor

OpenVMS Itanium CMS upgrade...get ACCVIO after upgrade

I have upgraded to CMS v4.5 on OpenVMS Itanium v8.31h1. Since the upgrade I get an "%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation" when doing a show class/contents. All worked fine before the upgrade. Any thoughts?

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Verify and repair the library with the CMS VERIFY command, then check for and load CMS ECO kits, and then contact HP support directly for assistance.

HP likely has tools available that can pull most everything that can be recovered out of the CMS library, should it have become corrupt.
Joseph Bettro
Advisor

Have run the verify/repair and lots of file headers repaired. Verify runs clean not but still get the ACCVIO...
Joseph Bettro
Advisor

I was able to find the previous kits, CMS T4.3-4 and re-installed and nothing else. All works fine again. So, looks like there is some kind of bug in the released CMS v4.5 kit unless I'm not aware of a patch or something special you have to do post-install. I've attached the error produced...
Hoff
Honored Contributor

HP doesn't always seem to release CMS ECO kits. You can have to call support and ask about ECO kits for those.
Joseph Bettro
Advisor

Thanks...will contact HP.
John McL
Trusted Contributor

Be warned that we've noticed a few differences between the Alpha and IA64 versions of CMS.

Here's a copy of a note from one of our people. Note that this was with CMS v4.5 on Itanium.

-----
After investigating crashes it was discovered that CMS was overrunning it's working storage in it's LDB structure (used by CMS to store internal working). After raising a ticket with HO it was confirmed that CMS v4.5 and greater do have a breaking a change that mean both the LDB and FDB structures need increasing. This information is in the release notes for CMS v4.5-2 but has not been updated in the CMS API documentation yet.

A second issue was also found that CMS v4.5 [on IA64] does not appear to be returning the revision date for items correctly. Using the transdate for now.
----

and a bit more on that LDB structure ...

---
This was tracked down to the CMS API calls overwriting memory they shouldn't. (The CMS libraries use a ldbstruct structure for working storage, the API documentation says this should be 50 double words in size, however on Itanium it appears to use at least 55 double words.) Adding some extra filler fixed this issue.
----
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Joseph, for what it's worth, I'm running CMS 4.5-2 on 8.3-1H1 bl860's without any problems.

Have you tried switching on all privs and giving it a go. Might help narrow down the problem.

I run this procedure at boot, which may be why I'm not seeing the problems :-

ALPHA_ROB$$ typ CMS$STARTUP_LOCAL.COM
$ ! "CMS$STARTUP_LOCAL.COM"
$!
$!------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$! AUTHOR: ROBERT_ATKINSON - December 2001
$!------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$! DESCRIPTION: Procedure to install CMS images privileges local to TBS, with
$! the correct privileges applied to the images.
$! RUN FREQUENCY : At system boot/As required
$! PRERUN REQUISITES : None
$! RERUN PROCEDURE : None
$! SPECIAL NOTE :
$! AMENDMENT LOG:
$! Date Oper Reason
$! 12-11-2002 RAA Added creation of CMS$WEB name table.
$!
$ SAVE_VERIFY = F$VERIFY(0)
$ !
$START:
$ INSTALL = "$INSTALL /COMMAND_MODE"
$ !
$ ! Add (or replace if it is already installed ("known")) the known images
$ !
$ INSTALL_VERB = "ADD"
$ IF F$FILE("SYS$SHARE:CMSPROSHR.EXE","KNOWN") THEN INSTALL_VERB = "REPLACE"
$ INSTALL 'INSTALL_VERB' SYS$SHARE:CMSPROSHR.EXE /SHARED/PROTECTED/OPEN/PRIV=SYSPRV
$ !
$ INSTALL_VERB = "ADD"
$ IF F$FILE("SYS$SHARE:CMSSHR.EXE","KNOWN") THEN INSTALL_VERB = "REPLACE"
$ INSTALL 'INSTALL_VERB' SYS$SHARE:CMSSHR.EXE /SHARED/OPEN/PRIV=SYSPRV
$ !
$ INSTALL_VERB = "ADD"
$ IF F$FILE("SYS$SYSTEM:CMS.EXE","KNOWN") THEN INSTALL_VERB = "REPLACE"
$ INSTALL 'INSTALL_VERB' SYS$SYSTEM:CMS.EXE /SHARED/OPEN/PRIV=SYSPRV
$ !
$ ! If the CMS$DW.EXE image is available, then it also needs to be installed
$ !
$ IF F$SEARCH("SYS$SYSTEM:CMS$DW.EXE") .EQS. ""
$ THEN
$ ELSE
$ INSTALL_VERB = "ADD"
$ IF F$FILE("SYS$SYSTEM:CMS$DW.EXE","KNOWN") THEN INSTALL_VERB = "REPLACE"
$ INSTALL 'INSTALL_VERB' SYS$SYSTEM:CMS$DW.EXE /SHARED/OPEN/PRIV=SYSPRV
$ ENDIF
$ !
$ INSTALL_VERB = "ADD"
$ IF F$FILE("SYS$SHARE:CMS$EVENT_ACTION.EXE","KNOWN") THEN INSTALL_VERB = "REPLACE"
$ INSTALL 'INSTALL_VERB' SYS$SHARE:CMS$EVENT_ACTION.EXE /SHARED/OPEN/PRIV=SYSPRV
$ !
$ INSTALL_VERB = "ADD"
$ IF F$FILE("SYS$MESSAGE:CMSMSG.EXE","KNOWN") THEN INSTALL_VERB = "REPLACE"
$ INSTALL 'INSTALL_VERB' SYS$MESSAGE:CMSMSG.EXE /SHARED/OPEN/PRIV=SYSPRV
$ !
$ CREATE /NAME_TABLE /PARENT=LNM$SYSTEM_DIRECTORY /PROT=(W:RW) CMS$WEB
$ !
$END:
$ IF SAVE_VERIFY .EQ. 1 THEN SET VERIFY
$ !
$ EXIT %X00001
$ !
$ !
$ !
ALPHA_ROB$$

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The callable API change here can certainly silently nuke applications, but that should not cause a CMS command SHOW CLASS /CONTENTS to tip over with an ACCVIO access violation. If anything, CMS is the one thing around that's going to be built against current the current CMS definitions and structures.
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

This is disappointing. I reported ACCVIO problems in CMS V4.5 on I64 back in October 2007 - yes, 2 years ago. HP advice at the time was to roll back to 4.4.

To Robert - you say you are not experiencing problems with 4.5-2. Were you previously experiencing ACCVIO problems with 4.5 and they have now gone away with 4.5-2?

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International