6142 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS License Expired

Steve Crowder_1
Occasional Contributor

OpenVMS License Expired

Hi
It seems that I have not got to our OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.2-1 system in time to relicense it, After logging on at the local console as SYSTEM I get "License Terminated" and immediately dropped back to the logon prompt. Is there a procedure or URL someone can share with me to retrieve this situation? Yes I do have a new license ready to install, but remote access via telnet and ftp has also expired.
TIA
12 REPLIES 12
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Steve,

You should be able to login to the actual operator console from the SYSTEM account. If the password for the SYSTEM account has been lost, you can boot the system manually and then get control back at the console. This will allow you to reset the password on SYSTEM.

From the console, you can register the new license. If you have a large number of licenses, I would recommend that you manually enter the OpenVMS and a license covering one of the network stacks, then you can transfer the file.

Installing one or two licenses by hand is not too much of a chore.

The instructions are in the installation manual. The entire documentation set is available at http://www.hp.com/go/openvms

If I have been unclear, please let me know.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Steve Crowder_1
Occasional Contributor

I was trying to logon via a serial console and that was unlicensed - doh. I have managed to log onto the real console so I at least stand a chance now. Not sure which parts of the license actually cover ftp and or telnet. If I can work that out I will enter those. Perhaps it would be easier to burn it onto a cd, mount that and copy locally. Thing is I am not a VMS person so it is all a bit steep at the moment compared to UNIX.
Thanks
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>Not sure which parts of the license
>actually cover ftp and or telnet.

Look for a license with product name of UCX. That should cover your TCP/IP stack incuding ftp and telnet.

As Bob G said - get VMS and UCX loaded, then you should be able transfer in the rest of them.

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts Internatioanl
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Steve,

Welcome to the wonderfull world of VMS!

>>>
Thing is I am not a VMS person so it is all a bit steep at the moment compared to UNIX.
<<<

Ok, then I will take nothing for granted.
Excuse in advanced if some of this will be too simplistic.

You HAVE logged in from the console, right?

Your displays for the next will go a lot friendlier if you do a

$ set terminal/inquire

Next

$ license list/fu

the screen is one license at a time, navigate by and
Look for anything with *VMS* in the product name, and review the info. ( * being the VMS wildcard)
Multiple licenses, of which at least one is current & active, will do.

If not, get the needed info (should be on a piece of paper, or maybe you have to aquire ( = but ) an extension ).

If OK, check network licenses.
The tricky part is, those can be *UCX* , or *TCPIP*, but they can also be bundled in *NET-APP-*

If you have found which license leave LICENSE/LIST by Ctrl-Z

Next (if you have the info)

$ $ SYS$UPDATE:VMSLICENSE
and simply answer the questions.

That SHOULD do the trick.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Martin Hughes
Regular Advisor

Note the typo in Jan's post, should read;

$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSLICENSE

:-)
For the fashion of Minas Tirith was such that it was built on seven levels, each delved into a hill, and about each was set a wall, and in each wall was a gate. (J.R.R. Tolkien). Quote stolen from VAX/VMS IDSM 5.2
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Martin,

thnx.

My entry was from (biologic) memory, and that obviously has no spell checker
(and even then: look at the personal quote in My Profile. Hint: read it aloud.)

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Steve,

"Real" OpenVMS license PAKs (Product Authorization Key) don't expire. Loan PAKs usually expire after 60 or 90 days, and Educational PAKs expire yearly.

If you can login on the console, I'd suggest starting with:

$ SHOW LICENSE

Look for any non-null values in the "Termination", column, especially past dates. Also try

$ LICENSE LOAD

This should attempt to reload all licenses, and will generate an error message for any that are terminated.

If you have Educational PAKs, you'll need to order a new set.

If you have new PAKs to register, make sure you DISABLE all the old ones first:

$ LICENSE DISABLE/ALL product-name

(but beware, if you're in a cluster you may need to select individual PAKs by authorization number).
A crucible of informative mistakes
Steve Crowder_1
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks for all the helpful comments. I am still struggling a bit. I have entered the sections from the new PAK license for:
LICENSE REGISTER VAX-VMS
LICENSE REGISTER UCX -
LICENSE REGISTER OPENVMS-ALPHA
LICENSE REGISTER OPENVMS-GALAXY
All OK and telnet and ftp are still not working
I tried to enter all for LICENSE REGISTER NET-APP-SUP-150 but it complained about the checksum.
I am guessing that I am missing that one essential section needed from the license.
Can anyone confirm exactly which section I need.
Is it:
LICENSE REGISTER BASE-VMS-250136 or
LICENSE REGISTER OPENVMS-ALPHA-USER

Obviously once I get telnet / or ftp working and I get the license file on the machine locally I presume I just need to run that file some how and it will all be sorted.
Thanks
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

you need to load the new licences

Try
LIC LOAD

I normally delete the expired ones