108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Management Station dist list

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

OpenVMS Management Station dist list

one of my remote sites is using this tool which sends messages to a distribution list. eg.

to:user1,user2,user3
Subject: OpenVMS Management Station - NODE12 cluster storage events

Reporting time is: 15-OCT-2007 22:23:27.77

APPLICATIONS: Error count of $1$DKD102: has increased

...I can't seem to find where the distribution
list is so I can edit and change it. anyone
know where it is? I've searched, I find
these users in..

TNT$MONITOR.TNT$MONITOR_JOURNAL

but no distribution list ?? anyone know to
to edit and change it? tx Dean
15 REPLIES 15
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

You create a file syslogin:user.dis, and you put in this file
user1,user2,user3

and then you send your mail to
@sys$login:user.dis
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

tx tho, I'm looking for where OpenVMS Management Station keeps its distribution list, so I that can edit it.
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

this is getting interesting, i did a wild card search on the system disk, and can't find the usernames in the distriution list.
did an anal/system sho proc/chan for the
tnt$xx..xx processes. can't find anything open that looks like a distribution list.
stumped. anyone know how to edit this list?
let alone where it is located? Dean
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Dean,

I thought the only component of the management station that ran on the OpenVMS side was the server agent. The only configuration is a few flags to start queues or mount disks.

All the actual work and configuration is done in the Management Station client, running on a PC. For notification, I'd expect the event to be detected on the PC which then requests the agent to send the mail. Maybe check the properties of the cluster or node definition on your management station PC.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

ok so your saying the PC tells the vms box
to send the mail. because the mail does come from
the vms system, from the system account eg..
ohsys2 is an alpha vms system. so your saying the PC tells the agent who to send mail to when it gets notified an event
happened on the alpha vms system. right?

if so, this will be interesting, as the support person on site was asking me how
to do change the distribution list!! I assumed it was on the alpha. tx Dean

John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dean,

> ok so your saying the PC tells the vms
>box to send the mail. because the mail
>does come from the vms system, from the
>system account eg..

Exactly. If you think about how the TNT architecture works, it can't really be any other way. There is no monitor or interface running on OpenVMS, just an agent to do the bidding of the management station(s). Get this, set that, etc...

It could have been designed for the management station itself to send the mail directly, but that would assume extra configuration on the PC. Since you've already got a command channel to the OpenVMS system, you may as well use that.

(On the other hand, I'm not in any way shape or form an expert on TNT, so I could be completely wrong!)
A crucible of informative mistakes
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

tx John, I'll run with this. Though I don't know if the site person knows of the management PC. tx Dean
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I seem to remember that John is correct. I had something similar to deal with in my last job. The Oracle DBA, (a Window's guy) set upt the Management Station software when noone was looking and then left the company. I had a similar problem associated with trying to track down the distribution list, and I remember getting as far as finding the share that it was on. Unfortunately, I couldn't fine anyone who had access to the PC.
Since it wasn't life and death, I think everything stopped there. I had more important things to spend my time on.

Anyway, dig around on the Management Station PC.

Dave.
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

>The Oracle DBA, (a Window's guy) set upt the Management Station software when noone was looking and then left the company.

ha, thats just about this situation. the person who set this stuff up is gone!