1751931 Members
4921 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS Management Station installation

Ban_2

OpenVMS Management Station installation

Hi All,
For Maintenance of the OpenVMS server, Could I use OpenVMS Management Station installed on the machine and what is the procedure of use.
My another question is that ADDUSER.COM is not working one of my two server(V7.3 & v8.3) how can I enable it.

Thanks
Banhijit

8 REPLIES 8
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Re: OpenVMS Management Station installation

Hi,

What do you mean by "ADDUSER.COM is not working" ?

How do you execute ADDUSER.COM in the node that works ?

ADDUSER.COM comes with VMS and is located in SYS$EXAMPLES.

Please supply more information

regards,

Hakan Zanderau
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

That ADD_USER.COM is located in SYS$EXAMPLES shows clearly that this procedure is delivered as an _example_. You can/should adjust the procedure to your needs and locate the final result to any suitable location. (I use a directory [TOOLS] for this kind of stuff).

To use it, you should be familiar with the system's requirements for username, UIC, quota, privileges and the like. Consult the system manager manuals for that.

Apart from that: What is meant by "is not working" ? Any error message?
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Ban_2

But how can use OpenVMS Management Station pls guide
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

OpenVMS Management Station is client/server.

It's used to manage Users, Disks and Queues from a PC.

You install the serverkit on VMS and the clientkit on a PC.

I haven't used it since 1996-97.......

I think it is easier to use DCL to handle users,disks and queues.

regards,

Hakan Zanderau

Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Hello Banhijit,

Please recognize that Google can be a very good friend. For instance, Google can get you to this HP site:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/argus/

The manuals, books and the available documentation can also be your friend.

Once you discover the various limitations of the OpenVMS Management Station, you'll likely want to use the system management manual and related documentation materials to learn how to administer OpenVMS from the DCL prompt. That's best via the OpenVMS User's Guide (if you're not familiar with OpenVMS) and then the System Manager's Manuals.
Those manuals are here:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq/

This knowledge will help you build on and to customize your own local copy of the SYS$EXAMPLES:ADDUSER.COM tool. There's no standard configuration set up; what users might need tends to be quite highly site-specific.

I have a full user account environment that is set up to add users upon user request, and set up directories and other such. Notifications are sent via email. It's entirely different than ADDUSER.COM. It's specifically set up for environments such as the public-access OpenVMS clusters. If you're interested, let me know here and I'll post up some pointers.

The current OpenVMS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) is here -- the copy of the FAQ at HP is an older edition:

http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq/

I'd suggest you avoid the HP web site search engine, as it seemingly can't manage to find itself if you spotted it the site map. Do use the Google keyword site:h71000.www7.hp.com as part of your search string. This keyword restricts the search to the HP OpenVMS site.

And welcome to OpenVMS

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Ban_2

Thanks Hoff for your guide and suggestion
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Banhijit,

on how to say "thank you"in these forums, please see

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/help/forums.do#33

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Over the years, many suggestions were made to improve OVMS. It has been stuck at version v3.2 for a very long time. Not sure, but I think this product code name ARGUS, was off-shored a number of years ago and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

I have to wonder if we'll ever see a version 3.new or 4. This tool does make sense for help desk and similar uses, but it's current limitations keep it on the shelf.